INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible solution to problem with diacritical characters on network drives/NAS  (Read 323 times)

HaWi

• Citizen of the Universe

I did a little research on this issue and found this
https://laur.uk/2021/03/10/umlaut-special-characters-issue-over-smb-on-mac-and-synology-nas/
I haven't tried it myself yet but it looks like a possible solution.
My Mac still throws errors when I import tracks edited with Tag Editor on the Mac with diacritical character in the file name and when I update the track in MC with F6 (which changes the file name according to my rule: [Album Artist]/[Album] as base path and /[Disc #]-[Track #] [Name] as file name. MC can still find the tracks but the name doesn't actually change, for example when I try to convert "ö" to "oe". I am probably doing something wrong but it is still a pain. I am going to spend a bit of time with a test album to see if this latest find can solve the issue.
EDIT:
When I create a diacritical character in  folder and/or file names within MC there is no problem with them. I can save them with F6 and transfer to rPi and NAS (using Foldersync 2) and there is no problem. However, when I import tracks that have been modified in Tag Editor and contain diacritical characters, like
1-09 Janáček – Mládí - II. Andante sostenuto
a problem arises
Even though the folder and file names appear identical, when I try to F6, I get an error and none of the files are changed. They are still recognized in MC on the Mac but are not recognized on the rpi nor the NAS.
I also couldn't get the rsync to work. I am sure it has to do with the de-composed coding but it is still a pain.
rPi5/8GB, Debian 12 Bookworm on SSD | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 2699
MacBookPro (2013), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS 11.7.17 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 3764
Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 9235
Docker Container (shiomax) DS1819+ | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 1430
JRemote 3.43
MO 4Media 1.5.7 | Marantz SR7007 (RSL 5.1) HDMI to MacBookPro

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe

I'm working on a beta version that converts the database paths to precomposed utf-8 and all copy/paste filenames and auto generation of the name files are done precomposed.
If you want to test it, send me a PM and I'll give you the details.

Pages: [1]   Go Up