INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Sort" not working  (Read 871 times)

rogueblue

• World Citizen
"Sort" not working
« on: October 30, 2022, 08:05:43 am »

Hi
A while back I had issues with files not sorting when I selected a sort type.  I was instructed to look in the "Customize View" at the "Set rules for display".
So I deleted all "rules for display" and then sorting appeared to work ... or so I thought!
But it didn't remain working.  Every time the sorting stops working, and every time the "rules for display" then has a new rule which every time I have to delete for the sorting function to work.

What I have also noticed is the only time "sort" command appears to work is only if any choose to sort from subfolders named "all locations". Non of the other sort files.

This can't be right, can it? Whether there's a "sort rule" or not, if a user chooses a specific "sort type", shouldn't MC honor that and then maybe resort back to the "rules of display" thereafter?
But also why does the "rules for display" each time recreate a new rule without me choosing it?

I also tried unticking "use parent scheme" but that didn't make a difference ... still same sort issue over and over.
I've been having this problem for over a month now and it's really driving me insane ... please can you help me get this sorted! (no pun intended)

rogueblue

• World Citizen
Re: "Sort" not working
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 07:10:50 am »

Can I get some MC support in resolving this issue?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 07:29:17 am »

If you click on the header at the top (where the names are), you can sort by each column in whatever order you want.

Or right click on the view in the tree on the left, customize and do what you want there.

Please see the wiki.  It's all there.

You're not getting help because nobody recognizes the problem.  Try posting more details and a screenshot.

rogueblue

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2022, 07:37:35 am »

If you click on the header at the top (where the names are), you can sort by each column in whatever order you want.

Or right click on the view in the tree on the left, customize and do what you want there.

Please see the wiki.  It's all there.

You're not getting help because nobody recognizes the problem.  Try posting more details and a screenshot.

I'm aware of what you instructed, been using MC for many years ... but the sort is Not sorting when selecting any sort type ... e.g. Date Imported, File Size, etc etc ! That's the problem!
Again as mentioned above, it only works when selecting "All locations" folder from the tree view on the left. Any folders there under, it does not work, it does not sort.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2022, 07:48:08 am »

Are you using MC in a client/server mode?

What view?  Screenshot?  Is it locked?

Full version?

What's different about how you are using MC?

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2022, 08:04:34 am »

Screen shots or a video would really help.  You seem to be describing some very unusual combination of things.  I could ask a bunch of questions, but seeing it would answer pretty much all of them.

Brian.

rogueblue

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2022, 08:49:27 am »

Screen shots or a video would really help.  You seem to be describing some very unusual combination of things.  I could ask a bunch of questions, but seeing it would answer pretty much all of them.

Brian.

I been trying for the last hour to upload a video but no luck so far ... recorded in Mpeg but says upload format not supported

rogueblue

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2022, 09:22:30 am »

Are you using MC in a client/server mode?

What view?  Screenshot?  Is it locked?

Full version?

What's different about how you are using MC?

I been trying to upload a video but I keep getting message "file type not supported" ... tried Mpeg-1, and other formats and less than 2mb ..
Nothing is locked.
Version 30.0.26. But it has been like this since I realized it in V29.
I can't think I'm using it differently than anyone else .. maybe I'm missing something simple, but all I'm trying to do is select different sort types, that simple.

rogueblue

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2022, 09:37:02 am »

I don't get it ... I've tried every format of mpeg ... but keep getting "format not supported" ... mpg is mp4/mpeg right?

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2022, 12:44:53 pm »

For videos, you should host them somewhere like Vimeo, YouTube, etc.  Video is generally too large to upload here.

Brian.

rogueblue

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2022, 12:58:15 pm »

For videos, you should host them somewhere like Vimeo, YouTube, etc.  Video is generally too large to upload here.

Brian.

The forum limit said no more than 3000K and I even tried less than 1mb ... but will try a host as you mentioned ...

blgentry

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2022, 01:03:26 pm »

Based on your picture, I now see what you are trying to do.

I can confirm the exact behavior you see on my system.  When using TREE SELECTION of anything other than "all", sorting via the drop down menu does NOT WORK.

That said, I think your approach to sorting and searching could be enhanced quite a bit by ditching the Tree and using Panes instead.  You are using file system folders as an organizational element.  That's ok, but it's really very limiting and crude.  If you were to instead tag your videos with keywords, series, or other tags that identify them, things could get a lot more interesting.

See my attached screen shot for what I do with TV series.

See how I have drilled down through the selections, left to right, in order to find what I want?  Notice that the last Pane up top is a sorting Pane.  I can define any sorting criteria here.  Then I can very conveniently click it right in a Pane instead of having to go to the top area, find the drop down, then find sort, and finally find the kind of sort I want.  I just click once and get the sorting I want.  The sorts I define can be based on any criteria.  It's just a matter of defining what you want to be inside that pane.

As I said, I DO see your issue.  I'm just trying to give you some information on how you might use MC better.  I've always found Tree Browsing to be fairly awkward.  Perhaps you'll try Pane browsing and enjoy it.

Take care,
Brian.

rogueblue

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2022, 01:13:52 pm »

Based on your picture, I now see what you are trying to do.

I can confirm the exact behavior you see on my system.  When using TREE SELECTION of anything other than "all", sorting via the drop down menu does NOT WORK.

That said, I think your approach to sorting and searching could be enhanced quite a bit by ditching the Tree and using Panes instead.  You are using file system folders as an organizational element.  That's ok, but it's really very limiting and crude.  If you were to instead tag your videos with keywords, series, or other tags that identify them, things could get a lot more interesting.

See my attached screen shot for what I do with TV series.

See how I have drilled down through the selections, left to right, in order to find what I want?  Notice that the last Pane up top is a sorting Pane.  I can define any sorting criteria here.  Then I can very conveniently click it right in a Pane instead of having to go to the top area, find the drop down, then find sort, and finally find the kind of sort I want.  I just click once and get the sorting I want.  The sorts I define can be based on any criteria.  It's just a matter of defining what you want to be inside that pane.

As I said, I DO see your issue.  I'm just trying to give you some information on how you might use MC better.  I've always found Tree Browsing to be fairly awkward.  Perhaps you'll try Pane browsing and enjoy it.

Take care,
Brian.

Hi, thanks for checking into this ... but although I see how that panes benefit many users, its not ideal for me ... I prefer larger screen area and using file system folders as although it might not be as efficient as the panes, its quicker for organizing as no tagging needed etc and because I often change the folder and sorting system ... it's mostly downloaded videos for info and research, not movies or music.
I'd just expect the tree view to work with sub folders for sorting, as it does for "all locations" ... shouldn't it?

blgentry

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2022, 01:23:20 pm »

I didn't think you would consider changing.  No matter. 

You are reporting something that does not work and I have confirmed it.  Hopefully one of the developers can address this feature not working.

Brian.

rogueblue

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2022, 01:29:20 pm »

I didn't think you would consider changing.  No matter. 

You are reporting something that does not work and I have confirmed it.  Hopefully one of the developers can address this feature not working.

Brian.

Thanks!
Yeah I need give more time to watching and working than tagging and organizing videos

rogueblue

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2022, 01:32:21 pm »

For what it's worth, here's link to a video ... didn't see any way to embed it  ....

https://vimeo.com/767005232

DJLegba

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2022, 01:44:08 pm »

Hi, thanks for checking into this ... but although I see how that panes benefit many users, its not ideal for me ... I prefer larger screen area and using file system folders as although it might not be as efficient as the panes, its quicker for organizing as no tagging needed etc and because I often change the folder and sorting system ... it's mostly downloaded videos for info and research, not movies or music.
I'd just expect the tree view to work with sub folders for sorting, as it does for "all locations" ... shouldn't it?

You don't need to use panes for sorting to work. You DO need to use views other than the file system, and the sorting uses information from the tag data, but MC populates some of the basic tags when you import the files.

rogueblue

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2022, 03:01:43 pm »

You don't need to use panes for sorting to work. You DO need to use views other than the file system, and the sorting uses information from the tag data, but MC populates some of the basic tags when you import the files.

I use the tree on the left for basic navigation, bookmarking etc, and then the "views" > Sort by (imported, name, etc) when I need to ... I don't see why tagging is necessary there ... again it works properly and as expected when choosing "all location" at any point, just not in any sub folders. But also, whether I use the tree or any other method to get where I want to be in the database, it shouldn't really matter how i got there ... the "sort" should just do what it's supposed to when using the view>sort> ... as it does in "all locations"

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2022, 10:49:24 am »

rogueblue could you send a library backup to matt at jriver with instructions about what view you're testing?

I tested a bit but was able to set sorting.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

rogueblue

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2022, 10:54:40 am »

rogueblue could you send a library backup to matt at jriver with instructions about what view you're testing?

I tested a bit but was able to set sorting.

Thanks.

Hi Matt ... will see what I can do, thanks.
FYI ... blgentry (user) also said he managed to duplicate same issue ...

rogueblue

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2022, 08:20:19 am »

Final message on this issue ... it is now fixed.
Thanks to Matt for great job on this.

blgentry

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2022, 08:31:12 am »

Final?  We need to know the fix!  lol.

Presumably the fix is in an upcoming MC30.0.X release?

Brian.

rogueblue

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2022, 08:38:42 am »

Final?  We need to know the fix!  lol.

Presumably the fix is in an upcoming MC30.0.X release?

Brian.

Yes that's correct
Pages: [1]   Go Up