INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem playing multichannel SACD ISO  (Read 848 times)

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck
Problem playing multichannel SACD ISO
« on: October 30, 2022, 05:07:45 pm »

Hi

I'm running this rather old version of River as I've not yet found a reason to upgrade (although maybe this will be it).

I'm having problems playing multichannel SACD ISO. I get a message that "playback could not be started using the format: 88.2kHz 64 bit 5ch. The following format would work: 88.2kHz 64bit 2ch."

My Theta Casablanca is more than capable of playing multichannel music.  It has no problem playing multichannel LPCM files (e.g. 5.1) from River.  The issue is with multichannel SACD ISO.

If I play a two channel SACD ISO, Audio Path says the input of 358.2kHz 64bit 2ch is being output as 88.2kHZ (as set in DSP Studio*) 64 32 bit 2ch.   The output is limited to 32 bit by the limit of my Theta CB.

I require the multichannel SACD to be output in the native number of channels, the frequency set in DSP Studio and, presumably, 32bit. In DSP Studio the output number of channels is set to "source number of channels". I don't want River to default to 2 channel audio for multichannel SACD ISO.

How to fix?

* Since I am running Dirac which is currently limited to 96kHz processing

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
Re: Problem playing multichannel SACD ISO
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2022, 07:38:12 pm »

There are a few things that could cause this.

I've gotten that message before and the following fixewd it. for me.

Start with Output Format in DSP Studio.  Set the output encoding to None.  Under Channels set it to 5.1 (or however many speakers you have).  I know you're thinking, "What about 2 channel stereo tracks?".  Media Center will only play them on the left and right speakers and silence in the others.  Mixing to JRSS mixing (recommended).  Check, "For stereo sources only, mix to 2.1"

In the sample rate box, I have outputs 88,200Hz and above set to 96,000.  My decoder for some reason won't work at 88,200 and you can either choose 44,100 there or 96,000.  Mine works that way.

If those settings don't work for you, this is the area to change things one at a time until it works, depending on your setup and your saying your system can handle it.

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2022, 04:14:48 pm »

Hi.  Thanks for the response! 

This seems to work. 

What's more, as I have two Zones set up (and automatic Zone Switching between them) with stereo files in one zone and playing out via SPDIF and multichannel files in another zone playing out via HDMI I can set up the DSP Studio for each (keeping Source number of channels for the Stereo zone).

I have one follow-up question:

I selected 5.1 under Channels (on the basis that SACD I believe are limited to this and while my system also has "height" speakers - it's actually 5.2.4 at the moment - that re-encoding can be left to my Theta processor).  I left Subwoofer set to Silent in DSP Studio. I note that some SACD ISO only have 5 channels - presumably the .1 channel isn't encoded. When I play such ISO files and look at Audio Path I see "convert from 5 channels to 6 channels". I would like to confirm, as I suspect is the case, that the extra channel is merely silent. (If an SACD ISO only had, for example, 3 channels encoded then the other 3 channels would be silent in the output from River.) I want JRiver to merely output the channels as encoded and not create any crossovers/new channels.

(Unfortunately all I see on my processor display is "multichannel LPCM" and no further information as to channels etc.)

Thanks in advance

Steve

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2022, 09:18:24 am »

It should not create any crossover channels and only output what is actually there.  You could also let your processor/amp/receiver distribute your subwoofer crossover if it has the ability (most do).  Just set no upmixing or downmixing. I have just let MC do it, though I have a crossover set in my amp also.

One way to check is look at the analyzer in the DSP studio (at the bottom on the left side tree).  It doesn't have a check box, just select it.  It will show you what is leaving media center before any amp processing.  In stereo you'll see zeros under SurroundLeft, SurroundRight, Center etc.

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2022, 03:35:05 pm »

Awesome.  Thanks so much!

(I want my Theta Casablanca to manage any crossovers etc as it is also running Dirac Live and has the ability to distribute sound to additional channels.  I simply want JRiver to output what's on the disk, albeit in LPCM format.)

Any idea how to get rid of the annoying clicks on the start of playback of an SACD ISO? Under device options I have "Play a little silence on DoP stop (removes the clicks with some DACs)" checked - not sure I understand this correctly - but the click I hear is at the beginning of playback.

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2022, 09:12:10 pm »

Can't really help you there as my SACD files were all converted to FLAC.

ISO files should work though.  I'd start a new thread specifically asking about clicks on ISO playback so persons with knowledge see it.

AGAWA

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2022, 02:19:55 am »

try to set your DAC to 176,4 for DSD. This will allow avoiding switching DAC to frequency of single DSD from whatever it played before

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2022, 06:22:18 pm »

AGAWA Multichannel DIRAC Live is limited to 96kHz. So even if I send 88.2kHz it will be changed to 96kHz for internal processing in the Theta Casablanca.

The clicks are at the start of any new SACD.ISO playback regardless of what sample rate is sent to the CB.
Pages: [1]   Go Up