INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: x86 Tablets?  (Read 411 times)

eve

• Citizen of the Universe
x86 Tablets?
« on: October 13, 2022, 02:17:09 pm »

Anyone else using x86 tablets as control interfaces around the house?
I was initially just buying cheapo android tablets (7" for walls, 10" for couches / desks) but I ended up getting frustrated with Android's limitations and background app management leading to sluggish switching between different interfaces / apps. I settled on testing an HP ElitePad as they were dirt cheap on Ebay, they seemed perfect but now the price is up like 50% so I'm curious if people have other recommendations.

Android has a few quirks that are hard to work around when it comes to always on control interfaces. For example, without rooting (and even with in some cases) it's impossible to turn off the screen, while still detecting touch input to turn it back on effortlessly (and never hitting say a lock screen).

None of this is a problem on an x86 tablet, Windows IoT has functions to support this exactly and you can generally accomplish something similar on linux. Additionally, that memory management is... annoying at best. In my current setup I have a few 'web' apps that I use to control various aspects of my home, each wrapped into a virtual 'full screen' application, they're always active in memory, so no delay flicking through them.

So what's good nowadays? I have a Surface Pro 2 that I use at my desk but it's gotta go as it has a built in fan that spins up annoyingly. The HP ElitePads were a good buy when they were cheaper (like under $100), and they're completely passively cooled.
Pages: [1]   Go Up