INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The End of an Era  (Read 809 times)

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
The End of an Era
« on: November 02, 2022, 03:33:50 pm »

I went to the video rental store yesterday to pick up the new Top Gun. They shut down on October 31, forever. That was the last video rental store. It survived streaming, it survived the pandemic, but it could not survive the barrage of garbage movies released this year. To make matters worse, I am building a new HTPC and cases don't come with slots for disc drives anymore.

I wonder if I will just never watch anything released after October 2022. Conveniently, a coworker lent me his 4k bluray of the new Top Gun.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
Re: The End of an Era
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 11:20:14 am »

Where are you located?  I use RedBox in the US where I can usually rent new blu-ray releases for ~ $1 with the discounts they always have.  Only 1-night rental, though.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

rec head

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 01:23:37 pm »

https://www.store-3d-blurayrental.com

The garbage releases are probably affecting them too but they are still around.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2022, 02:13:51 pm »

Where are you located?
Northern Canada, close to Haines Alaska. No Redbox here. No proper internet where I am, but they are upgrading from DSL in an area close to me right now. Amazon will ship here, I think for $50 dollar extra, but it doesn't work because whoever they contract the shipping out to cannot deliver to PO box. I could buy Top Gun for $37 at Walmart next time I am in the city, but that won't happen. I would rather a good meal or a 26oz of Jameson.

The video store, which was actually not very close to me, was nice because I could get bluray or UHD quality for cheap, with a 5 cent per day late fee. They brought in a lot of indie movies and strange movies you don't see on streaming services. No internet required and it was also nice to support a local business.

The idea of buying new movies for 37 dollars is laughable, especially with quality of films these day. I have only made it through one Marvel movie in the last 4 years. Amazon and Disney's new shows are unwatchable. Maybe loosing access to movies and TV show is a blessing in disguise.

I have a massive video collection of very good stuff, but it is still nice to see new things from time time. But only if they are worth watching.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2022, 07:25:16 pm »

I watched Top Gun on Amazon.

I was not impressed.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up