INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sample rate change after stopping movie playback  (Read 658 times)

sumitc

• Recent member
Sample rate change after stopping movie playback
« on: November 06, 2022, 01:08:18 am »

When I stop playback of a movie in JRiver, the sample rate changes to 192kHz.  This only happens when I am bitstreaming Dolby/DTS content.  After issuing a stop, my processor shows the format change to PCM when I get back to the JRiver window; at this point the sample rate also changes and it always gets set to 192kHz.  Each time the sample rate changes, I hear a pop through the speakers.

In the log, a snippet of which I am attaching below, one can see an event that seems to be changing the sample rate.  Is there a way to avoid changing the sample rate or to have it always get set to the windows default, which in my case is set to 48kHz.

Thx,
Sumit.

--------------------------

0020746: 11708: Playback: CWASAPIPlugin::Open: Start
0020749: 11708: Playback: CWASAPIPlugin::Open: Device: Altitude (NVIDIA High Definition Audio); Exclusive: 1; Event style: 1, afOutput: 192 kHz 16bit 8ch
0020749: 5504: Playback: CWASAPIPlugin::Thread: Start
0020749: 5504: Playback: CWASAPIPlugin::Thread: Starting WASAPI
0020749: 5504: Playback: CWASAPIPlugin::StartWASAPI: Start
0020766: 5504: Playback: CWASAPIPlugin::StartWASAPI: Started WASAPI: 19200 buffer blocks, 400.0000 internal buffer ms, 99 fill sleep ms, output format 192 kHz 16bit 8ch
0020766: 5504: Playback: CWASAPIPlugin::StartWASAPI: Success opening device
0020766: 5504: Playback: CWASAPIPlugin::StartWASAPI: Finish (17 ms)

sumitc

• Recent member
Re: Sample rate change after stopping movie playback
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2022, 11:25:23 am »

Would appreciate a comment of the finding/request above.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2022, 02:15:12 pm »

It should only do that if something causes playback to start again.

I assume you're not doing it manually.

Does the log offer any clues about why it's starting to play again?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

sumitc

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2022, 02:26:33 pm »

Thx for the response.  I am just stopping playback and see the sample rate change on the processor along with a format change from whatever the bitstream was to PCM.  The pop coincides with format change to PCM.  There is no media playing at this point and no sound either.  If I playback the same clip again, the sample rate changes back to 48kHz.

I am attaching the captured log here.

Thx,
Sumit.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2022, 02:33:48 pm »

Hendrik says there's no stop in that log.  When blu-ray playback finishes it goes back to the menu which could change the sample rate.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

sumitc

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2022, 03:34:25 pm »

I am clicking on the stop button in the playback window.  After this, I do return to the JRiver window which is when the sample rate changes.  It always gets set to 192kHz.  Is there something that I can do, so that the sample rate does not change?

Note that if I decode the bitstream in JRiver and send PCM to the processor, the same stop sequence does not change the sample rate.

sumitc

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2022, 02:13:49 pm »

Any update on your end regarding this or some suggestion on what I can try to avoid a sample rate switch?  Thx.

sumitc

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2022, 12:15:57 pm »

Hendrik says there's no stop in that log.  When blu-ray playback finishes it goes back to the menu which could change the sample rate.

Hoping to get an update as to whether the sample rate change is avoidable upon stopping movie playback.  Thx!

sumitc

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2022, 11:45:07 am »

One more try to see if there is something that can be done, either on my end or JRiver, to avoid the sample rate switch.  Thx!

eve

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2022, 02:29:15 pm »

Could you try changing Output Format in DSP studio to 48kHz across the board to see if it still happens? Though since it's related to bitstreaming, I have a feeling it won't fix it.

If this will negatively impact music for you, just make another zone.
Video content *in general* is 48kHz. Outside of concerts, there's a few Japanese movies with 96kHz audio but it's moot. There's DTS-HD-HRA mixes on some older, less well produced, mostly non R1 BDs, but it's kind of a total scam and you're not losing anything by taking it down to 48kHz.

Pages: [1]   Go Up