INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reimporting Files. (For EnglishTiger)  (Read 268 times)

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Reimporting Files. (For EnglishTiger)
« on: November 11, 2022, 09:01:50 am »

At present the 64,000+ files for my Music Collection sit on an External 8GB M2.SSD that I can attach to either my Win or Mac machines and since I'd updated a lot of metadata for those files, using the Win PC, I decided to clear down the Mac Library and then Re-import the files.

This is a mistake.  If you have previously imported files and the internal tags have changed, you do not need to import them again.  Just highlight the files and do: Library tools > Update library (from tags)

That will re-read all the tags in the files and update/add any relevant tags.  That's it.  I believe running auto import on the files will also update the library based on new or changed tags, but not 100% sure about that.  I'm definitely sure that the procedure above works every time.

This I did in "Files View" and for some obscure reason MC would switch between telling me they were on 1 Volume and sometimes on 2 Volumes.
When it was saying 1 Volume it was correctly reporting the volume name preceded by a forward slash but when the 2nd volume appeared the volume name was preceded by a back slash.

I'm not sure how this would happen, but I believe you.  I think that if you stick to a library created on the Mac and do not reimport, you should be fine in the future. 

When I ran multiple versions of MC I did something quite different than any of this:  I did a Library Backup on one system and then transferred it to the other system.  Then did a Library Restore.  Finally, I fixed all pathing issues using Rename, Move, and Copy Files with the Find & Replace option to fix the initial drive paths.  That may or may not yield good results for you.  Give it a try on a throw away library and see if you like it.  This way the two libraries really are the same since one is built from the other.

Good luck.
Brian.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Reimporting Files. (For EnglishTiger)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2022, 03:53:20 pm »

It might be less intrusive for you to make a new temporary library with:  File > Library > Library Manager > Add Library .

This way you can do testing from a new, clean, empty library.  When your testing is done, you can remove the library entirely.  Or switch back to your main library and come back to your test library when you want to do more tests.

Libraries are often mis-used by customers that think they should put different kinds of music in different libraries.  That's not what they are for.  They are for situations like yours, where you want to do some fundamental things and don't want to break the main library in the process.

Have fun with your development.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up