INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume Control Response (feature request)  (Read 432 times)

lhwidget

• World Citizen
Volume Control Response (feature request)
« on: November 18, 2022, 02:06:47 pm »

This is a feature request:
I understand how the slower response to volume changes can protect the user's system under some circumstances, but it's making it almost impossible for me to get to the volume I want.  My reflexes are practically hardwired to the way Media Center used to work.

Would it be possible to make the old instantaneous response a selectable option?

Thanks for listening,

Jay

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Volume Control Response (feature request)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2022, 02:08:56 pm »

This is a feature request:
I understand how the slower response to volume changes can protect the user's system under some circumstances, but it's making it almost impossible for me to get to the volume I want.  My reflexes are practically hardwired to the way Media Center used to work.

Would it be possible to make the old instantaneous response a selectable option?

Thanks for listening,

Jay

Have you tried turning off the Volume Protection option?  That's what slows down the volume change; with that disabled I can change the volume instantaneously.

lhwidget

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2022, 02:48:15 pm »

That was my first thought.  On my three installs, it doesn't change the delayed response when unchecked.  I get the same delay whether the box is checked or unchecked.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2022, 03:33:30 pm »

That was my first thought.  On my three installs, it doesn't change the delayed response when unchecked.  I get the same delay whether the box is checked or unchecked.

To be clear, if you uncheck the box, close the options window, and then stop and restart playback you still get slow volume changes? 

Alternatively, what are your buffer settings like?  I can imagine a large buffer might also create some delay in volume changes too.

lhwidget

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2022, 08:47:24 pm »

Correct, I even closed and restarted JRiver before trying it again.

I’ll look at my buffers, thanks for the tip.

lhwidget

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2022, 04:09:34 pm »

Finally found it.  Checking & unchecking Volume Protection wouldn't turn it it off.  However, changing the sound output device did the trick.  MY HTPCs with Azus sound cards show 6 or 7 Azus outputs.  Switching to Azus Kernel Direct, turning all options off, and setting the buffer to about 25 mS did the trick.

Changing the output device to Creative ASIO fixed the issue on my big PC.  Again, it seems that switching the output device is what "unsticks" the option and lets it turn off.

Thanks for your help!
Pages: [1]   Go Up