INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DTS over DLNA  (Read 3209 times)

vigotone

• Junior Woodchuck
DTS over DLNA
« on: July 20, 2020, 11:26:32 am »

I've recently added some DTS 5.1 surround files to my library (mostly ripped from the Jethro Tull deluxe DVDs). MC plays them perfectly on my Mac Mini connected via HDMI to my Pre/Pro. However most of my listening is via DLNA to my Oppo 205. When I attempt to listen to DTS files this way, everything locks up.

Can someone please help me figure out how I can play these DTS files over DLNA? Thanks in advance!

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DTS over DLNA
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 12:31:00 pm »

I don’t recall if the Oppo can play DTS — I think not. But download the DMRA from my sig, and the renderer report will tell you whether it supports that or not.

If it doesn’t then you will need to change the settings of the MC DLNA server to convert DTS to another format that the Oppo does play. You could try L16 PCM no header as a good starting point.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

vigotone

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 12:50:02 pm »

Thanks Andrew. Unfortunately I'm on a Mac, so I can't use your app.

Would you mind showing me how to convert DTS without letting it convert any other format? In Tools > Options > Media Network >Add or Configure DLNA servers, I'm guessing I change Mode to "Specified Format Only When Necessary". Do I need to go into "Advanced" and specify "Audio Formats to convert"? I want to make sure it doesn't change any of my FLAC or ALAC files. But DTS is not listed under audio formats to convert!

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 02:13:18 pm »

In Tools > Options > Media Network >Add or Configure DLNA servers, I'm guessing I change Mode to "Specified Format Only When Necessary". Do I need to go into "Advanced" and specify "Audio Formats to convert"? I want to make sure it doesn't change any of my FLAC or ALAC files. But DTS is not listed under audio formats to convert!

I confirm that your approach is fully correct. But DTS not being listed is indeed a barrier. Perhaps someone at JRiver can comment?

One potential work around would be to create a second DLNA server. The first would be set to play original and you would use it for your FLACS and ALACS. And the second would be set to Always Convert, and you would use it for your DTS tracks.

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm

vigotone

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 03:20:45 pm »

The only way I could get it to work was to set Mode to "Specified Output Format", and set Format to PCM L16 No Header. But now all my 24/96 ALAC files are getting converted to 16bit as well, which I can't have. I just want to convert only the DTS files to make them playable over DLNA...

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2020, 07:24:06 pm »

^
Understood. Perhaps bob @ JRiver can advise why DTS is not possible to be specifically selected for conversion?

vigotone

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 08:36:01 pm »

Thanks Andrew. @bob (or anyone else), can you please help?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2020, 08:45:05 pm »

One potential work around would be to create a second DLNA server.

A second DLNA Server that always converts, a second Zone for DTS only, then associate the DLNA Server that always converts with the second Zone, and set up Zoneswitch to switch to that Zone when you play DTS files.

So play a DTS file > Zoneswitch switches to the second Zone > the second Zone plays using the second DLNA Server > the second DLNA Server converts to PCM L16 or whatever.

There may be some issues if you play a Playlist that is a mix of DTS and other formats, as MC will switch DLNA Server on the fly, and the Oppo may not like that. You almost definitely wouldn't get Gapless on the switch. Test it and see.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

vigotone

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 08:57:36 pm »

Thanks Roderick! That seems like a lot of work though. Could there be a simpler solution? Is the problem that the Oppo 205 can't handle DTS? That seems strange given that it decodes DTS on DVDs and Blu-rays (even DTS CDs).

Hopefully there's an easier workaround...

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2020, 09:04:50 pm »

Borrow a Windows laptop and run Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser on it to check the capabilities of the Oppo 205?

EDIT: What is the [File Type] and file extension of these files?

Because this is the simple answer:
^
Understood. Perhaps bob @ JRiver can advise why DTS is not possible to be specifically selected for conversion?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

vigotone

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2020, 09:24:43 pm »

The extension is literally .DTS, which is not listed in JRiver's options for conversion.

I don't have access to a Windows laptop, unfortunately, but I'll see if I can find one. Bob, could you help with this?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2020, 09:41:55 pm »

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2020, 10:21:53 pm »

The extension is literally .DTS, which is not listed in JRiver's options for conversion.

I thought maybe the list of file types to convert might be in the Windows Registry, but I can't see it there.

As the setting does appear to be just the file extension I'm surprised that it isn't directly user-editable, rather than only allow selecting from a list. Maybe it could be made user-editable, like the Handheld Sync functionality. Perhaps there is some functionality in the list that isn't obvious.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2020, 10:23:02 pm »

Look guys, I think we have established that 1) MC itself can play native DTS, whereas 2) the Oppo cannot play native DTS, so therefore 3) the MC server will have to transcode DTS to another format for the Oppo to play, but 4) MC seems not to have a server setting to permit such transcoding (why not?), and therefore 5) the only potential solution would be to set up two servers and two zones and use zone switch (which is indeed a complicated way to do it).

wb77cn

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2020, 10:35:14 pm »

Look guys, I think we have established that 1) MC itself can play native DTS, whereas 2) the Oppo cannot play native DTS, so therefore 3) the MC server will have to transcode DTS to another format for the Oppo to play, but 4) MC seems not to have a server setting to permit such transcoding (why not?), and therefore 5) the only potential solution would be to set up two servers and two zones and use zone switch (which is indeed a complicated way to do it).

When will JR24 solve this problem of adding a .dts extension? In addition, the machine transcoding into FLAC after the playback time is not the same, the DTS transcoding for WAV through DLNA playback, playback time will be reduced, resulting in incomplete playback.

yonkiman

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2023, 01:04:30 pm »

I'm running into the same problem - my LG OLED TV can't decode DTS, and I can't find any way to make MC transcode DTS to something the TV can handle. 

Any news/progress/solutions on this?  It's been 2+ years.
Pages: [1]   Go Up