INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IdPI on the Sonnet Hermes endpoint  (Read 663 times)

michiel.willemse

IdPI on the Sonnet Hermes endpoint
« on: November 28, 2022, 09:15:07 am »

Hello all,

I own a Sonnet Hermes endpoint (successor of the Metrum Acoustics Ambre endpoint).

The hardware inside is a Raspberry Compute 3 module. I expect that the software of the IdPI SD card will run.

The trickier part is the output to the DAC. The Hermes output goes to a I2S interface, not a USB interface. Is the IdPI capable to drive this I2S output?

I would love to have MC running on this device (and abandon Roon...). Anybody who has experience with this specific combination, who can confirm that it will work or who can prevent me from wasting my time?

Kind regards, Michiel

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: IdPI on the Sonnet Hermes endpoint
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 09:23:49 am »

Hello all,

I own a Sonnet Hermes endpoint (successor of the Metrum Acoustics Ambre endpoint).

The hardware inside is a Raspberry Compute 3 module. I expect that the software of the IdPI SD card will run.

The trickier part is the output to the DAC. The Hermes output goes to a I2S interface, not a USB interface. Is the IdPI capable to drive this I2S output?

I would love to have MC running on this device (and abandon Roon...). Anybody who has experience with this specific combination, who can confirm that it will work or who can prevent me from wasting my time?

Kind regards, Michiel
Does the DAC require an overlay?
Is it supported by ALSA then??

michiel.willemse

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2022, 02:19:59 pm »

Does the DAC require an overlay?

The DAC is a separate device, a Metrum Acoustics Adagio. It is connected to the Hermes endpoint with a regular ethernet cable with RJ45 connectors that runs the I2S interface.

I attach a picture of the inside of the Hermes endpoint. On the left you see the connector backplane, starting on top with the sd card, then the LAN Rj45 input, then I2s RJ45 output to DAC, and a few alternative outputs such as coax, optical and AES.

I know that Ropiee (which is a complete linux package to install the Roon bridge on the SD card) runs flawlessly. I also tried Volumio, then it runs but with digital distortion which I couldn't solve  :(.

Is it supported by ALSA then??

Regarding overlay and ALSA, this exceeds my knowledge   :-[.

michiel.willemse

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 01:44:55 am »

Progress update: the setup now runs  :).

PC with JRiver, Hermes endpoint with Ropieexl , I2S to Adagio DAC.

I think the trick wass in the network. JRiver on Win Server 2019 did not recognize the Hermes. After I installed another copy of JRiver on a Win 11 PC, everything went fairly easily.

It runs using ropieexl, apparently the IdPI is not required (I should modify the subject line?) Still I am wondering if this might run and if this might improve audio quality  ???

I will post a short follow-up in the coming days with some implementation details that may support others.

And now I have a very interesting possibility to shoot-out Roon vs JRiver for a couple of weeks  8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up