INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC29 Crash Will Not Reopen  (Read 881 times)

chrisgreen

• World Citizen
MC29 Crash Will Not Reopen
« on: November 28, 2022, 06:32:16 pm »

Sorry for the cross-post in the MC30 forum. I did not realize the MC29 forum is still active. I am attaching a screenshot and crash log for this issue.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC29 Crash Will Not Reopen
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2022, 08:06:20 am »

I'm unfamiliar with that message.  Perhaps post your MacOS version also.  The JRiver staff might have a suggestion or two.

The only other option I know is the last resort:  Deleting the JRiver Library directory, which also deletes the JRiver database.

Brian.

chrisgreen

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2022, 11:46:33 am »

I'm unfamiliar with that message.  Perhaps post your MacOS version also.  The JRiver staff might have a suggestion or two.

The only other option I know is the last resort:  Deleting the JRiver Library directory, which also deletes the JRiver database.

Brian.

This is happening on OS 10.15.7. I am not sure what happened. I have been running MC on this Mac Mini for years without anything like this happening before. I would REALLY like to get it back up and running ASAP.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2022, 07:48:47 pm »

So do you get this same dialog box each time you try to start MC29?  What happens when you press "reopen windows" ?

Have you looked to see what your latest backup is?  They are made automatically.  It think something like every 2 or 3 days.  Backups should be located in

Documents/JRiver/Media Center 29/Library Backups/

If you have one from a few days ago that's probably good enough.

Finally, have you installed MC30 to see if it will at least run?

Brian.

chrisgreen

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2022, 07:53:54 pm »

So do you get this same dialog box each time you try to start MC29?  What happens when you press "reopen windows" ?

Have you looked to see what your latest backup is?  They are made automatically.  It think something like every 2 or 3 days.  Backups should be located in

Documents/JRiver/Media Center 29/Library Backups/

If you have one from a few days ago that's probably good enough.

Finally, have you installed MC30 to see if it will at least run?

Brian.

Yes, I get this dialog window every time I start MC29. I get the same result if I choose reopen windows or not. MC29 crashes. The most recent backup I see is well over a month old. I don't think the backups are made automatically. Maybe I missed that? I might end up trying the backup, but I am still hoping to find a solution.

I have installed MC30, and it will run.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2022, 08:30:57 am »

Do you have a time machine backup of the Library directory?  If you could restore that back to before MC29 crashed, that might help. 

I would only restore the JRiver directory in

<your user directory>/Library/Application Support/J River/Media Center 29/

Try at your own risk.  This is just a suggestion.

Brian.

chrisgreen

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2022, 08:33:55 am »

Do you have a time machine backup of the Library directory?  If you could restore that back to before MC29 crashed, that might help. 

I would only restore the JRiver directory in

<your user directory>/Library/Application Support/J River/Media Center 29/

Try at your own risk.  This is just a suggestion.

Brian.

Why did I not think of this one? I run a backup every night (Carbon Copy Cloner). I will let you know what happens.

chrisgreen

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2022, 03:44:53 pm »

I was able to retrieve an older version of the MC29 folder that lives inside my user>Library>Application>J River folder from a backup. I replaced the existing folder with the backup version. When I launched MC29, I saw the same dialog window I attached to the initial post. This time, when I selected the default option of 'Reopen', MC29 launched and appeared normal.

I have nothing to base this on, but I wonder if the problem could be related to a 'Recently Imported' playlist. I have seen that playlist appear and disappear over recent months for reasons I do not understand. I tend to have it open in a tab all the time. Who knows if that means anything, but it might be something to look into.

I would like to know that this situation is understood at some point. It seems like there must be some issue that could be solved to prevent it from reoccurring.

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2022, 07:32:49 pm »

I'm just a customer so I can't comment much on what might have caused the issue.  I'm glad to hear you got it working again though.  :)

Brian.

chrisgreen

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2022, 07:53:22 pm »

I'm just a customer so I can't comment much on what might have caused the issue.  I'm glad to hear you got it working again though.  :)

Brian.

I appreciate your help. You gave me the idea that worked to recover my library, and I am very grateful. Thank you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up