Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New TV  (Read 530 times)

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
New TV
« on: November 30, 2022, 01:40:47 am »

OK, my main television is starting to tell me that it needs a replacement soon.

One thing I've noticed with the new TV's is the lack of analog line-level outputs.

My current TV (Sony Bravia from 15 or so years ago) has analog audio outputs.  Quite good ones, at that.  Indeed, the quality of the audio from those outputs rivals the Benchmark Media DAC-1 that i also use.

However, and more to the point, what has happened to the line-level audio outputs on TVs nowadays?

How does one get better than 48/16 from a TV?

I mean 48/16 --- really.  Ugh.

What am I missing?

=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: New TV
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 04:14:58 am »

I just bought one - No 3.5 analog jack out, just optical and HDMI eARC support for bitstreaming to modern soundbars/amps. Audio from Cable/TV sources is likely sampled at 48/16 max, but anything coming from HDMI or digital streaming can be bitstreamed at the original rate to optical/eARC with full 96/24 or whatever the source is.

It does make sense nowadays - you buy a TV for its screen capabilities, not the audio quality. It usually doesn't have an high-end audio system embedded and they might not even decode DD/DTS/Atmos/MQA/etc. So for proper audio you will have to use a Soundbar or Amp anyway, and it makes sense to send it the original digital encoding with all channels and object data. You can't do that with analog, not to mention you would need a bunch of RCA outputs to handle 7.1 channels.

For simple headphones the TV supports bluetooth, no jack needed and better quality depending on the headphones.

TLDR: New TV? You may need a new sound system too.

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
Re: New TV
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 01:43:37 pm »

Thanks for the comment.

It confirms what I've discovered in my explorations.

I'm not too concerned about audio originating via cable or TV sources.  That is usually quite compressed anyway (e.g., 6 channels at 384kbps).

My main concern is that the TV often serves as the playback display for a MC client, and I have a lot of 96/24 audio.

I don't want to replace my AR-9's with a soundbar (  :) ), so it looks like I'll be investigating eARC.

> TLDR: New TV? You may need a new sound system too.

Most of what I listen to on the current sound system is yer basic stereo, I'm not real big on video movies and the like with their 7.1 soundtracks..  So, I've no plans to replace my current audio setup any time soon.

thx again for your reply.

=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones
Pages: [1]   Go Up