INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Modify "Album Artist" Tag?  (Read 524 times)

squeedle

• World Citizen
Modify "Album Artist" Tag?
« on: December 07, 2022, 08:50:32 pm »

Hi, I'd like to modify the "Album Artist" tag (not "Album Artist (auto)"). I'd like to make it a List instead of String, and I'd like to make it relational - one value per album. Is there any way I can do this? If the field is totally locked down to user modification, can I request a change to that policy please?

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Modify "Album Artist" Tag?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2022, 02:54:05 pm »

[artist], [album artist] and [album artist (auto)] are heavily reliant on each other and all three are deeply baked in to MC and its expected operation.

[Artist] can take a string of semi-colon delimited entries which MC treats as a kind of pseudo list type field. Personally, I don't like it and don't use it, but others simply love it. See this post, old, but still very relevant today, that attempts to explain how tightly bound these three fields are.

-marko

squeedle

• World Citizen
Re: Modify "Album Artist" Tag?
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2022, 03:17:20 pm »

Thanks for the reply, Marko. I personally do like the pseudo-list method for Artist as some tracks have multiple artists on a single track, and I'd like to be able to find those tracks with searches for any individual artist who is present on that track. For example, if the artist is "Dizzy Gillespie & Oscar Peterson & Roy Eldridge", I'd like to be able to find that track doing an Artist=x search for any of those three people, not having to search for that exact multiple-artist string of text. That's why "Dizzy Gillespie;Oscar Peterson;Roy Eldridge" seems to offer more flexibility with no real downside to me. I was hoping Album Artist could be set up to work the same way, but if it is too baked-in already to change, that's fine, I understand. Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up