INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to rename output channels in JRiver (v30)  (Read 1690 times)

jan.didden

• Recent member
How to rename output channels in JRiver (v30)
« on: December 08, 2022, 08:01:51 am »

Hi, I am setting up JRiver with filters for my stereo 3-channel active speakers.
So my channels are like L-low, L-mid, L-high and R-low, R-mid, R-high.
It gets a bit convoluted if I need to keep track of the translation of those names to the default names in the JRiver DSP like L, R, Sub, Center, Rear-L, Rear-R.
Is there a way to rename those channel names in JRiver?

Also, if I connect that output to a multichannel DAC like the Topping DM7, is there a standard way for which JRiver channel goes to which DAC channel?

thanks,

Jan Didden

kr4

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to rename output channels in JRiver (v30)
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2022, 09:04:08 am »

Also, if I connect that output to a multichannel DAC like the Topping DM7, is there a standard way for which JRiver channel goes to which DAC channel?
Yup.  The standard is displayed at Parametric Equalizer2 > Order Channels.  You can also change the order there but the "standard" works for the DM7 as it does for the other 8channel DACs I have.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2022, 09:43:24 am »

You can't rename them

jan.didden

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2022, 01:33:59 pm »

Yup.  The standard is displayed at Parametric Equalizer2 > Order Channels.  You can also change the order there but the "standard" works for the DM7 as it does for the other 8channel DACs I have.

Thanks Kal, that's useful.

OT on/ Are you the KR who used to write for The Audio Amateur?
I just became their Tech editor, so if the writing bug bites again, let me know - would be an honor!
OT off/

Jan

jan.didden

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2022, 01:37:14 pm »

You can't rename them

That's disappointing. Surely I'm not the only one who uses multiband active speakers.
Where can I submit a feature rewquest.

Jan

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2022, 02:38:29 pm »

I have asked for it before, I think it was stated that was unlikely to happen (if memory serves). They basically take posts like yours as feature requests, there isn't really anywhere else to log it.

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2022, 05:37:34 pm »

OT on/ Are you the KR who used to write for The Audio Amateur?
I just became their Tech editor, so if the writing bug bites again, let me know - would be an honor!
OT off/

I am the same KR but, as you can see from my sig, I am otherwise engaged.  ;)
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

jan.didden

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2022, 01:51:08 am »

I have asked for it before, I think it was stated that was unlikely to happen (if memory serves). They basically take posts like yours as feature requests, there isn't really anywhere else to log it.

It's a trivial thing for the program.
I hate having to put yellow post-its on my screen everytime I'm working on my DSP setup in JRiver.
Makes me look a bit incompetent with my buddies too ...

Jan

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2022, 04:42:04 am »

Fwiw I use the text filters to annotate blocks of other filters so I remember what they are, digital post it notes I suppose :(

You may also find https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,129609.0.html useful. I wrote this in order to not have to use DSP studio UI directly

jan.didden

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2022, 01:47:56 am »

Matt, being rather new to JR, how does that work?

BTW I thought of another simple solutuion: allow the user to set an alias for each channel.
It would not require changes in the software processing per se, just adding a column next to the channel names with a user-entered alias.
This then stays with that channel even when reordered.
Another digital post-it ;-)

Jan

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2022, 02:14:19 am »

It uses MCWS (Media Center Web Service, i.e. an api delivered over http & which is available when you turn on  media network on) to up/down load new DSP config files via the LoadDSPPreset / SaveDSPPreset calls

in terms of how MC reacts, it's the same as clicking the buttons in the pic attached so basically it moves filter design to another app which has some features which are intended to reflect how you actually use rather than just raw data entry

jan.didden

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2022, 06:52:40 am »

Ahh! Another good tip, I need to test that. Looks much more informative than just the text entris, yes.
Thanks again!

Jan Didden

jan.didden

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2022, 07:30:57 am »

Matt, I set up your alternative UI.
I saved a previously generated text based filter from MC, and wanted to read it in beq.
I get an error saying 'invalid file 'RL'', see attached. The filename of the saved preset is try1.dsp (extension given by MC at save time).
Am I doing something wrong?

Jan Didden

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2022, 07:54:02 am »

Can you post the file?

jan.didden

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2022, 09:57:17 am »

Yes of course.
I had to add a .txt suffix to get it attached, but it is the .dsp file that I saved.

Jan

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2022, 04:56:21 pm »

it's a bug, apparently I've never loaded an exported DSP file that has non zero "extra channels" so never noticed that it blows up when you try. FWIW I always just connect via MCWS to load DSP hence forgot about testing with files. It's easily fixed (which I'll do over the weekend) or you can use MCWS (see attached pic for the button to press)

eve

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2022, 07:26:06 pm »

This is the answer.

I also have a Dm7. Order channels or for more complex operations the 'move / mix' channels operation will prove useful.

Beyond external tools, there's no way to name channels in JRiver. Honestly that's not the biggest problem. When I have unique configurations with more than 8 channels of routing / output, I tend to go with the label cables option to keep my sanity ANYWAYS.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2022, 02:40:49 am »

Yes of course.
I had to add a .txt suffix to get it attached, but it is the .dsp file that I saved.
this is fixed, try https://github.com/3ll3d00d/beqdesigner/releases/tag/0.11.0-beta.5 instead

NB: I noticed you are using reorder channels, I don't use it and never implemented support for it. Attached a pic to show what you should see if you open that file, the generated image is intended to be sufficient to see what is going on (+ click on a node in the graph to be able to edit the relevant filter). Given you have v little in there atm, I'd suggest starting from scratch from within the app instead (i.e. create a new config then upload that).

This thread also reminds me why I didn't implement support for channel (re)naming, it's just too fiddly given the way DSP Studio is designed (whether intentional or not, to my mind it looks like providing the most flexibility to the user with the least possible amount of UI development). The point being that you really need to be able to rename input names and output names independently and to be able to carry this through from PEQ1 to PEQ2, e.g. say you use PEQ1 for "input channel" peq and "PEQ2" for output channel peq. Ideally you'd also integrate convolution into this directly (i.e. be able to add a filter block) rather than just running it through an entirely separate stage & crossover design + bass management would move to be a separate blocks. Admittedly I'm just describing the approach I used in this app, i.e. try to break it down into functional blocks rather than one big list, but, for me, just renaming channels feels like a bodge.

jan.didden

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2022, 06:27:30 am »

Thanks Matt, good info for my feeble brain.
I don't think I'll get around to trying it over the weekend (need a few hours of quiet to concentrate), but will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again,

Jan

dariedel2

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2023, 05:54:00 am »

Hello, I don’t want to post a new topic even though this appears old.
Is there any way Order Channels can set the order for more than 8 channels? The para EQ can do all sorts of filters for many channels (>8), but when you go to order channels, only the standard eight appear. There doesn’t seem to be any way to order the output channels beyond the standard eight.
Thanks,
Doug Riedel

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2023, 07:39:24 am »

You have to do it manually using mix operations

dariedel2

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2023, 01:46:20 pm »

You have to do it manually using mix operations
Hello,
I have configured the mix channels,but the channels need to be routed (ordered) to more than the eight channels that show up in the order channels function in the para eq.
How do you make channels 9 10 11 12 etc. show up in the order channels function?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2023, 02:38:52 pm »

You don't until MC supports it, you use mix operations instead

dariedel2

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2023, 04:36:42 pm »

You don't until MC supports it, you use mix operations instead

Ok. But if I am setup in a 10 channel configuration, and I use mix channel to send something to channels 9 and 10, will Those channels be sent to 9and 10 sequentially? Even though channels 9 and 10 are not in the order channels list? So essentially if I use the default order instead of order channels the first eight will be in order and then 9 and 10 will follow?
Thanks,
Doug

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2023, 05:13:42 pm »

I have never tried that specific operation so couldn't say, I recommend trying it in a verification mode to be sure it behaves itself

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Verifying_DSP_Studio
Pages: [1]   Go Up