INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC > upmpdcli - lost volume control [Solved]  (Read 394 times)

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
MC > upmpdcli - lost volume control [Solved]
« on: December 08, 2022, 05:26:33 pm »

I wasn't sure if I should post this in the Linux section of the forum or not, but figure this group would have the best idea what I broke - but it may be something with the DLNA config in MC :)

I had a raspberry pi setup as a DLNA renderer for quite some time working just fine.  Then I got tired of wifi issues with it, so I hooked up the ethernet, and for some reason that seems to have jacked a few things up.  At first the sound started coming out of the headphone jack instead of the USB dragonfly.  I got it working as a DLNA output now on MC again with the right audio device by changing my Alsa config from hw:1,0 to hw:2,0, but I no longer have volume control in MC.  Only if I ssh and go into AlsaMixer can I change the volume.  In mpd.conf, I have the following:

Code: [Select]
audio_output {
        type            "alsa"
        name            "My ALSA Device"
        device          "hw:2,0"        # optional
        mixer_type      "hardware"      # optional
        mixer_device    "hw:1"  # optional
        mixer_control   "PCM"           # optional
        mixer_index     "0"             # optional
}

And I see this when I look at aplay -l:

Code: [Select]
$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: b1 [bcm2835 HDMI 1], device 0: bcm2835 HDMI 1 [bcm2835 HDMI 1]
  Subdevices: 4/4
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
  Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
card 1: Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones], device 0: bcm2835 Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones]
  Subdevices: 4/4
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
  Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
card 2: v10 [AudioQuest DragonFly Red v1.0], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 0/1

I'm not sure what I did, but I'd like to be able to control the volume from MC and I did before, so I'm sure I screwed something up this afternoon!  I only have 1 DLNA server configured in MC, so it's not like changing the ip address changed that.  It's set to send 24bit PCM.  Thanks!

EDIT: Oops, didn't noticed I picked the MC29 group and not the current MC30 group...

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC > upmpdcli - lost volume control
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2022, 08:45:55 am »

I figured it out!

I had plugged the HDMI in when I couldn't get the ethernet to work properly via SSH and at some point when the monitor was hooked up rebooted the pi trying to get the wifi to shut off and the ethernet to take over.  That added the HDMI output as a new device, shifting my dragonfly from 1:0 to 2:0.  In the mpd config, I changed the device, but not the mixer_device (duh).  This morning when I turned it on, the HDMI wasn't hooked up, so my dragonfly moved back to 1.  No sound came out when I hit play in MC, so I had to re-troubleshoot and when I did that, I noticed that the mixer_device index was still set to the 1st device index.  I imagine there's a better way to do that than the device id.  I bet the device name works.
Pages: [1]   Go Up