INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Never ending Spotlight Tabs  (Read 841 times)

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
Never ending Spotlight Tabs
« on: December 11, 2022, 02:50:39 am »

Running MC 30.0.30 - 64 bit on Win 10. There may be other ways to trigger this, but if the window is maximized, and I click near the title ("JRiver Media Center 30"), and pull down, I get an endless bunch of tabs opening Spotlight and I have to kill MC.
For standard windows apps, pulling down on a maximized window takes it out of a maximized state.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Never ending Spotlight Tabs
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2022, 06:48:16 am »

I think this was fixed recently.  A newer build is at the top of this board.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2022, 03:16:38 pm »

Thanks! I will wait for the next stable and just be *really careful* until then.
:)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2022, 06:36:34 pm »

Don't wait for Stable.  Latest will have the fix sooner.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2022, 01:32:04 am »

I'm on 30.0.40 now. 64-bit on Win 10.
The previous issue of never-ending spotlights is fixed but...
If I do the same pull down I get a spotlight window opening.
To reproduce, place mouse just under JRiver Media Center in the title bar. Click and hold and slide down.
Spotlight window opens.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Hoisted by his own petard - Lock him up!
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2022, 02:07:19 am »

To reproduce, place mouse just under JRiver Media Center in the title bar. Click and hold and slide down. Spotlight window opens.
This is intended behavior. If you left click-and-hold over the currently playing track in the player bar, it launches Spotlight for the currently playing artist.  In fact, if you move your mouse over the track info area (without clicking anything), after about a second delay, a tooltip will pop-up and tell you exactly that (unless of course you have tooltips turned off).

"Sliding" the mouse has nothing to do with the behavior… It is the holding of the left button in the track info area that launches Spotlight.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2022, 09:41:26 pm »

Thank you. But this in fact happens if there is nothing playing and nothing listed in the Now Playing area.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2022, 10:04:48 pm »

If tracks are listed in the Playing Now view, MC does not have to be playing to launch Spotlight. Whichever artist is associated was the last active track, a long click in the player bar will launch Spotlight for that artist.

However, if the Playing Now view is empty (no tracks listed below the main display window) as you stated, Spotlight will not launch no matter how long I hold the click, or if I drag the mouse while holding the left button down.  I cannot think of any MC setting that would cause that to happen for you, but not for me.

Try clearing the Spotlight cache. At the bottom of the spotlight page there is a paragraph of text… Just below that there is an "update" link text - try clicking on that.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2022, 08:00:46 pm »

Ok, I did test this. Even though no tracks are listed in the Title bar (just JRiver Media Center 30), a long click does bring up the last played track from the Playing Now view.
Not sure that I agree this should be the behavior, but I suppose it is working as intended.
Thank you.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2022, 09:36:08 pm »

The Title Bar is more commonly called the player bar, and when when MC is off (meaning play is stopped, not merely paused), it displays the application name just as you noted.

In my prior post, I was referring to whether there are any tracks listed at the bottom of the playing now view (not the player bar).  I assume there were some tracks listed there in your test, since you say it did launch Spotlight (which is the same behavior that I see).

Did you test with no tracks listed at the bottom? If not, select all the tracks and hit delete. Then do the long click and hold in the player bar's track info area.  For me, Spotlight will not launch no matter how long I click and hold.  If it is launching Spotlight for you in this situation, then that's a problem.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2022, 01:28:13 am »

Yep, works as you described.
Thanks for taking the time to explain it. I appreciate it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up