INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC thinks old CD is still in drive when I try to rip new CD  (Read 1182 times)

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
MC thinks old CD is still in drive when I try to rip new CD
« on: December 21, 2022, 05:31:10 pm »

Hi,
running MC 30.0.40-64 bit on Win 10.
I've been ripping some CDs again. MC seems to think that the CD I ripped earlier is in drive whenever I insert a new one. I've rebooted, but to no avail. If I shut down MC and use File Explorer, the correct CD is recognized and plays thru Windows Media Player. But MC thinks, regardless of which CD I place in the Drive, that it is still a CD I ripped earlier.
Any advice???

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC thinks old CD is still in drive when I try to rip new CD
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2022, 05:43:22 pm »

Maybe the OS or another app is the default handler of the CD type.  Check in Windows settings.  Also check in MC under File Types.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2022, 06:12:03 pm »

I set .cda to be handled by MC both at the OS and MC level.
Rebooted and cleared cache (by holding down PC power button until it turned off and off), but still the same issue.
Is there a place that MC is storing that info from a previous rip? Or some way to clear it?
Whatever CD I place in the drive is seen as a rip from earlier today.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2022, 06:14:20 pm »

Additionally, if I choose to play, rather than to rip, it does play the correct CD music, but still reports it as the old CD.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2022, 06:45:44 pm »

Another interesting bit, perhaps. It shows the CD info while acknowledging there is no disc.
Both attached screenshots are taken with no disc in the drive.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2022, 06:55:51 pm »

At the bottom of the File Type settings, look for "Audio CD".

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2022, 10:01:49 pm »

At the bottom of the File Type settings, look for "Audio CD".
I did go ahead and set that, but to no avail. MC insists that it is ripping the disc I ripped awhile ago.
I went back and deleted the rip (thru the library), inserted a different disk and it ripped the disc assigning it to the previous rip, even though they are different albums.
It's like it has cached this information somewhere and won't let go.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2022, 10:14:38 pm »

However, if I cancel the rip (because it thinks it's ripping the old CD again), I can then press "Update from Online Database" and it identifies the CD correctly and I can then rip it without a problem.
But the next CD inserted goes back to the old one that somehow seems stuck in a cache somewhere....

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2022, 10:16:41 pm »

Configure Windows Defender.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2022, 08:36:42 pm »

I did the Windows Defender thing a long time ago and it is still good.
Things seem to be working mostly correctly again today. I did delete some files in the MC cache: Track Info directory and JR Download (####).dat files. Not sure if that matters but mostly OK today.
The one "weird" behavior is that as I rip multiple disks, sometimes MC doesn't respond to a new disk being put in. The disk spins, but MC does not ask what I want to do with the new disk (as I have set in the settings). Other times, it does pop up the dialog.
At least it's not stuck on the one disc as it was yesterday.

kuyper

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2023, 05:11:41 pm »

This seems to be a persistent problem across many versions :( I have found no reliable way around it, other than to close and re-launch JRiver; this massively slows down my ripping process :( not to mention means I'm unable to (continuously) listen to music while ripping. Sigh, suppose I'll listen via PleX while ripping (kinda misses the point, eh?)

Platform: Windows 10 x.64

kuyper

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2023, 05:13:36 pm »

This seems to be a persistent problem across many versions :( I have found no reliable way around it, other than to close and re-launch JRiver; this massively slows down my ripping process :( not to mention means I'm unable to (continuously) listen to music while ripping. Sigh, suppose I'll listen via PleX while ripping (kinda misses the point, eh?)

Platform: Windows 10 x.64

Update: It gets worse - I just quit JRiver (and ejected and re-inserted the disc) multiple times - it's still seeing the prior disc. Reboot next, I guess. This is getting tedious :(

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2023, 05:57:47 pm »

I'm sorry, but I don't think that is a JRiver problem.  OS or drive maybe.

Here's an old thread that talks about the cache that Windows uses when it reads a CD. 
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/20068171/reading-data-from-a-cd-dvd-does-windows-create-some-sort-of-temporary-cache

I think your problem is similar.  Your drive should flush the cache when it is loaded with a new CD, but it's not doing it.

Another drive might behave differently.  They're not expensive to buy.

What is your current drive?

kuyper

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2023, 07:51:07 pm »

I'm sorry, but I don't think that is a JRiver problem.  OS or drive maybe.

Here's an old thread that talks about the cache that Windows uses when it reads a CD. 
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/20068171/reading-data-from-a-cd-dvd-does-windows-create-some-sort-of-temporary-cache

I think your problem is similar.  Your drive should flush the cache when it is loaded with a new CD, but it's not doing it.

Another drive might behave differently.  They're not expensive to buy.

What is your current drive?

I'd buy that if it was consistent, but it isn't - sometimes I can rip 15-2 discs in a row without a problem, then it gets "stuck" and I have to jump through all kinds of hoops, and it suddenly works again.

Drive is
https://www.lg.com/us/burners-drives/lg-wh14ns40-internal-blu-ray-dvd-drive

I really have no compelling reason to buy another drive, but I'm willing to try - so what drive do *you* have that does not exhibit this behaviour?

I'm on a fully updated Windows 10 64-bit machine, and this problem exists in MC29 and MC31 (just installed 31 today, and it worked fine for 3 discs and then started being petulant again)

This looks cheap and cheerful
https://www.amazon.com/Plextor-PlexWriter-PX-891SAF-Burner-Writer/dp/B09G9FRFT7

Thanks for any info
Pages: [1]   Go Up