INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Double Migration: New Server, New Computer;Problems with Rename, Move & Copy  (Read 792 times)

Day Radebaugh

• Junior Woodchuck

Acquiring a new server to replace my old one, and subsequently a new laptop on which to run MC, in this case from Macbook to Windows. 

For the 1st stage, I'd like to simply copy music files and library from old server to new, then test it with old laptop.

For 2nd stage, I'd like to transfer MC from Macbook to Windows computer.

Can you tell me how I might do this, or point me to the right instructions?

Thanks

Day Radebaugh

• Junior Woodchuck
Problems With Rename, Move and Copy
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023, 05:12:34 pm »

After studying the Rename, Move and Copy Files instructions several times, I limited my experiment to a small section of the media file,  browsed (using Finder) for the new server, and plugged in its path in the Directories section and turned off Auto Import as suggested, and looked carefully at Preview screen, then pulled the trigger. 

Files were apparently copied to /Volumes/Data-1/New Music/...., which is Mac's way of referring to the new server.  (I checked on the path name to the new server, and this is in fact the correct path.) 

The files play, so something must have been copied to the new address.  However, I can't find the copied files anywhere on the new server.
Worse yet, nothing else in the media file plays. 

Since my experiment seemed to render the media file unusable--except for the tiny fraction I apparently copied--I'm reluctant to try it again.  I restored the copied file names manually to their previous location (the old server) and now at least I have a usable media database again.

Any suggestions please?  Any ideas about why the Copy and update database produced such results?  Specifically, why the (apparently) copied part of the database would play, but the untouched part would not? 

Thanks

HaWi

• Citizen of the Universe

I'd recommend to copy the media files using an OS app (finder or PathFinder). That gives you control and overview of what happens. I did a simple copy/paste of my >2TB 'Music' folder from an old server to a new server (took a while to complete but worked without a hitch).
Then, point MC to the new server location (there is a pull down menu on the left top when opening File/Copy/Move [F6]).
rPi5/8GB, Debian 12 Bookworm on SSD | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 2699
MacBookPro (2013), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS 11.7.17 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 3764
Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 9235
Docker Container (shiomax) DS1819+ | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 1430
JRemote 3.43
MO 4Media 1.5.7 | Marantz SR7007 (RSL 5.1) HDMI to MacBookPro

Day Radebaugh

• Junior Woodchuck

Thank you.  I will try this and let you know.  It has the benefit of being straightforward and simple.

Day Radebaugh

• Junior Woodchuck

Thanks for your help.  I apparently loaded the new file in addition to the old, which gave me both files.  Finally found a way to start from scratch, and now I've loaded all 8662 files/500Gb of music. 

Now in the process of analyzing the audio, which looks as though it will take forever, but I'll just let it run.

Thanks

Day Radebaugh

• Junior Woodchuck

I've been able to import my media file from the new server with all tagging information intact.  Music plays, and filenames refer to the new server.  Took 5+ hours to analyze all the audio, 500GB/8K+ files.  I backed up the library as soon as it appeared to be functional and complete.

Couple of questions:

1. My media file is /New Server Name/NewMusic/, but I also have a folder /New Server Name/RS Music/ which contains 106 files (16.6MB) of parameter information in kilobyte-sized files with the .jmd suffix.  I can recall entering this file name on some menu or other, but can no longer find where I specified it.  I'd like to change the file name for mnemonic purposes; can you tell me where in MC I might change the name of this folder?  As MC was analyzing the audio, it continually updated files in this folder.

2. I notice music does not start playing on the first double click; I have to double-click the item twice.  Is this this the Wake on Lan business?

Thanks you again for your help.

Day Radebaugh

• Junior Woodchuck

I'm afraid I'm back at square one.  I had MC pointing to new server, playing well, then I had to restart Macbook.  Now I have no library at all. 

I still have my Media File (8600 music files) on new server, and am apparently going to have to start from scratch again.  I cannot find a good backup of the library that I backed up as soon as things seemed to be looking good.

Any suggestions please?

bob

• Administrator

I'm afraid I'm back at square one.  I had MC pointing to new server, playing well, then I had to restart Macbook.  Now I have no library at all. 

I still have my Media File (8600 music files) on new server, and am apparently going to have to start from scratch again.  I cannot find a good backup of the library that I backed up as soon as things seemed to be looking good.

Any suggestions please?
That's very odd. Where is the library stored (not the media files)?
Where did you back it up to?
MC by default on Mac backs up into the Documents folder under JRiver then the MC version.

Day Radebaugh

• Junior Woodchuck

I don't honestly know why I couldn't load the backup.  In any case, I set up a new library from scratch by:

1. /File/Library/Library Manager/Add Library--the Add Library function looks for am empty folder, by the way
2. Importing 8671 music files
3. Checking to see that the tags were there, and the music played
4. Backing up the library to a secure location.

I don't know why this happened either.  In any case, I can close MC, and open it again with all the music there.  In addition, I have two zip files in the folder I designated for backups:

/Users/day/Downloads/RS1221NewMusicLibraryBackup/MC Library Backup (RS1221NewMusicLibrary - 2023-01-08 20-20).zip and /Users/day/Downloads/RS1221NewMusicLibraryBackup/MC Library Backup (RS1221NewMusicLibrary - January).zip

One appears to be the folder from the manual backup I performed, the other is January's backup???

I certainly appreciate your help.

Day Radebaugh

• Junior Woodchuck

Sometimes I bounce back and forth between MC and YouTube.  I notice that I have to close MC to listen to YouTube, and have to re-open MC to gain control of the sound card after listening to MC.

Is there an easier way to do this?

Thanks

bob

• Administrator

I don't honestly know why I couldn't load the backup.  In any case, I set up a new library from scratch by:

1. /File/Library/Library Manager/Add Library--the Add Library function looks for am empty folder, by the way
2. Importing 8671 music files
3. Checking to see that the tags were there, and the music played
4. Backing up the library to a secure location.

I don't know why this happened either.  In any case, I can close MC, and open it again with all the music there.  In addition, I have two zip files in the folder I designated for backups:

/Users/day/Downloads/RS1221NewMusicLibraryBackup/MC Library Backup (RS1221NewMusicLibrary - 2023-01-08 20-20).zip and /Users/day/Downloads/RS1221NewMusicLibraryBackup/MC Library Backup (RS1221NewMusicLibrary - January).zip

One appears to be the folder from the manual backup I performed, the other is January's backup???

I certainly appreciate your help.
The default backup location is under that Documents path I mentioned. If you backed up to a different location it might keep backing up there. That January backup being there says to me that's what MC's doing now.

bob

• Administrator

Sometimes I bounce back and forth between MC and YouTube.  I notice that I have to close MC to listen to YouTube, and have to re-open MC to gain control of the sound card after listening to MC.

Is there an easier way to do this?

Thanks
Is MC set for exclusive access in it's Audio device settings? Try turning that off.

Day Radebaugh

• Junior Woodchuck

Turned off exclusive access, paused music, went back to YouTube but YT remained silent.

bob

• Administrator

Turned off exclusive access, paused music, went back to YouTube but YT remained silent.
You might have to restart MC if you haven't. What Audio device are you using in MC?

Day Radebaugh

• Junior Woodchuck

Says (Default)[Core Audio].

Restart seems to have worked.  I paused MC music, then YT played fine.  I recall reading somewhere that there were advantages to giving MC exclusive access, but don't remember what they were.

BTW, this was also an issue with my previous streamer, Audirvana.

Day Radebaugh

• Junior Woodchuck

By the way, many thanks for your help and patience. 

bob

• Administrator

By the way, many thanks for your help and patience.
No problem. Glad you got it going.
Pages: [1]   Go Up