INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: IPOD SUPPORT  (Read 37885 times)

newhere

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: IPOD SUPPORT
« Reply #100 on: February 06, 2003, 09:15:08 am »

Noooooo..... The horror question. Headphones!
Seriously, you can fill pages with an answer. To see some good advice go to http://www.ipodlounge.com and search the forums for headphones or something similar.
Let me also disperse some of my advice: Keep the physical iPod limitations in mind!!!
The iPods frequency range only goes from 20 - 20 000 HZ. So it would not be the grandest idea (in my book) to go out and get the headphones just because they can go to 20 Hz or less or more than 20 000 Hz. Second buy somthing you like! Don't listen to and buy somthing just because some wise guy says that this is the most expensive and best. Remeber, everyone who owns an iPod (probably) has wondered what headphone to get. Some people like them in the ear some don't. Some people don't even think of a headphone as good if it does not cost more than $ 200. There are super electro magnetic headphones out there for about $ 1000, and they also come with and need a power supply (so don't think about leaving your chair with those). There was good advice in one of the posts of the ipodlounge it stated that you need to listen to the headphones yourself. Everyone is different, some need the expensive ones for their (listening or psychological) pleasure others love their $19.99 good old fashioned models. I have seen (and heard from others) that there is a model for everyone even from the mass manufacturers (Sony, Koss, Phillips etc.). You should go to a big store and listen in on some good headphones and find the one you like (or order them and send them back if you don't like em). I heard that the not so expensive Koss Porta Pros (look old fashioned but) sound great, I have also heard that people who like to crank it up love the expensive Ety-4's yet others love custom made wooden stuff (for thousands!), some like features like outside sound cancelling, there are thousands of choices. It is a subjective subject.
Have fun finding what you like to listen to and don't listen to what others listen to...

Payam

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #101 on: February 06, 2003, 01:20:35 pm »

Everyone,

If you get the latest MC (9.0.108 ) you will need to get plugin 9.0.01 from the following link to work with iPod...

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/downloads/mcplugins.pl

This build includes Unicode support and the fix for playing .aa files.

Steve

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #102 on: February 06, 2003, 05:47:37 pm »

I can't get the ipod plugin to install in version 108--get a failed to register object message in the error field...(My registration on 108 appears ok)..

Media Center Registered 9.0.108 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows Me
Intel Pentium III 929 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 392 MB, Free - 117 MB
Resource Info: System - 27 %, GDI - 65 %, User - 27 %

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 5.50.4134.100
wnaspi32.dll: 2, 0, 0, 0 , ASPI for WIN32 DLL, Copyright © Adaptec 1995 / Aspi32.sys: N/A

Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive F: YAMAHA   CRW2200E           Addr: 0:1:0  Speed:20  MaxSpeed:20  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: No /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

SteveG

« Reply #103 on: February 07, 2003, 04:59:57 am »

cct1,

Are you getting the v 9.0.01 Plugin from the following link?....
http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/downloads/mcplugins.pl?type=8

PS With 9.0.108 you should not even need to get the Plug-in, it should just work.

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #104 on: February 07, 2003, 06:39:51 am »

cct1,

PS With 9.0.108 you should not even need to get the Plug-in, it should just work.

That's the link I used.  Since it didn't install, I didn't try synching (I didn't want to risk losing my tunes and not being able to reupload as I will be using my ipod today.).  I didn't realize that it was included automatically on the 108 build.  I'll try a synch when I get home with 108  (or with 109 it if's out).

Thanks!!

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #105 on: February 07, 2003, 06:44:04 am »

Steve:

Long time no hear from me.  Haven't been involved recently because I don't do audible.

Anywho, regarding the most recent build.  As I read your post, it said "if you're using the .108 build you'll need to get the plugin from here......"

So, I downloaded 108, grabbed the plugin from your link synched and got to work this morning and checked my iPod: No Playlists.  All my tunes were on there, just no playlists.

Now I read your second post that says you don't need to download the plugin, it's included.  Am I confused?  What's the scoop.  And is this bug I found due to the fact that I did download the plugin?

Just wondering.....

Adam

DeeJayPod

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #106 on: February 07, 2003, 07:04:07 am »

When I d/l the latest plugin from the link you provided, the installer reports that the plugin installed successfully, but it does not get listed in the Plugin Manager and MC does not recognize my iPod.  I am running  9.0.105, which is the latest version I found on the d/l page.

DJP

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #107 on: February 07, 2003, 09:30:22 am »

When I d/l the latest plugin from the link you provided, the installer reports that the plugin installed successfully, but it does not get listed in the Plugin Manager and MC does not recognize my iPod.  I am running  9.0.105, which is the latest version I found on the d/l page.

Read above to see which versions work with which plug-ins.  107 is the latest stable version.  It should be here on Interact.  108 is not good.

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2003, 10:12:34 am »

cct1,

Well, I checked plugins--there is nothing in there.  I went ahead and plugged my ipod in, to see if it would show up, and it didn't, so I don't think it's "automatically working" on 108.  Didn't do anything to my ipod fortunately, so I'm ok with all my playlists.

I'll try again on 109.

I tried reinstalling 107 (from the 107 link as per your last message in interact)--it won't open.  No big deal, but if it's going to be awhile until 109 is ready, could you pretty please check and see if you can get the link working?  If 109 is coming out soon, I can wait.  Thanks!

SteveG

« Reply #109 on: February 07, 2003, 10:21:36 am »

cct1,

Are you saying you don't see anything if you click on the link in the previous reply?  If so, can you try refreshing your browser by doing Shift + Reload.

I confirmed that on a clean PC with 108 no download of  the Plug-in was necessary.

Steve

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #110 on: February 07, 2003, 01:26:43 pm »

cct1,

Are you saying you don't see anything if you click on the link in the previous reply?  If so, can you try refreshing your browser by doing Shift + Reload.

I confirmed that on a clean PC with 108 no download of  the Plug-in was necessary.

Steve

No, what I meant was that the link for downloading 107 wasn't working, in the MC beta 107 thread.  

The ipod will not connect to 108  (nor 109), there is no evidence of any plugin when I go into the plugin manager, there is no evidence of my ipod as "drive G" when I plug it in.  When I downloaded 108, something failed to install on the plug in page, as I got an error message, but the rest of MC9 installed after the error message.  I suspect the error message was related to the ipod plugin.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #111 on: February 07, 2003, 07:07:50 pm »

Steve:

Just so you know this was my experience:

1. Downloaded MC9 version .109 (note: did not download the ipod plugin)
2. Did a full restore on my iPod w/the Apple iPod Updater
3. Launched MC9, right-clicked the iPod and did a Format for MJ.  Note that I wasn't prompted to do this, but I did it anyway
4. Sync'd my usual list
5. When finished, checked the iPod. No playlists and no songs showed on the iPod, although all the files where there and they displayed fine in MC9.
7. Closed MC9.
8. Downloaded the iPod Plugin for Version 9
9. Launched MC9, click on the iPod. Was prompted to Format for MJ.  
10. Formatted for MJ
11. Sync'd and everything was fine.

So, it appears that the version of the plugin that comes preloaded w/MC9 version 1.09 doesn't have everything in it or has a bug somewhere.

Note: I never received any errors during install of MC9 or install of the plugin.

Adam

fex

« Reply #112 on: February 07, 2003, 10:35:49 pm »

... I confirmed that on a clean PC with 108 no download of  the Plug-in was necessary.

Steve

Works for me with 9.0.109 on a "non clean" PC.

Fex

Media Center Registered 9.0.109 -- C:\Programme\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 1998 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 204 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145 (xpsp2.021108-1929) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive G:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   chord.wav

Burning /  Drive G: YAMAHA   CRW-F1E            Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:44  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #113 on: February 08, 2003, 04:58:30 am »

Adam and Fex,

Did you install 109 over the top of 108, or did you uninstall 108 then install 109?  I installed over the top..
I could try uninstalling and reinstalling, but since some people had problems with their libraries after doing this for the 108 version, I've held off on doing it this way...

Thanks in advance.

DeeJayPod

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #114 on: February 08, 2003, 06:41:52 am »

109 worked fine for me.  I installed over the top of 108.

DJP

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #115 on: February 08, 2003, 07:58:02 am »

Interesting guys, well I installed .109 over a .108 and ran into that problem, but my iPod was messed up frmo .108, so maybe I'll try it again and see what happens.

**UPDATE**: OK, I reinstalled .109 over my existing .109 and didn't install the plugin, everything's working fine now.

So, "Never mind......"

Oh, Steve, I took that part out from the user guide about downloading the plugin since that's not needed anymore.  Very slick might I add.

Adam

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #116 on: February 08, 2003, 11:00:37 am »

I removed MC9 and reinstalled--same problem as before.

The exact error message I get during the MC9 install, which shows up on the "installing plugins" message page during the instillation (and I get the identical message when I try to install the ipod plugin my self) is:

Failed to install package.

More Info: Failed to register object.
C:\Program Files\JRiver\Media Center\Plugins\hh_portable.dll

I checked to make sure the hh_portable.dll file was present--it's there so that particular file itself isn't missing.

TimB

« Reply #117 on: February 08, 2003, 01:06:59 pm »

I got failed to install too at install of MC9.

Then tried to dl the plugin on the plugin page separately, its says its installed but hasn't as there's nothing listed under the Handheld section of plugins.

Win98SE.

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #118 on: February 09, 2003, 05:04:56 am »

I got failed to install too at install of MC9.

Then tried to dl the plugin on the plugin page separately, its says its installed but hasn't as there's nothing listed under the Handheld section of plugins.

Win98SE.

-=Tim=-

Tim:

Did you install the 9.0.01 ipod plugin, or the 3.0.47?
I got the failed to install message with the 9.0.01.  I tried the 3.0.47  (Just for giggles, figuring there would only be a snowball's chance that it would work, as this is now the MJ ipod plugin, and 9.0.01 is the MC ipod plugin), and I got a "successfully installed" message when I downloaded 3.0.47--but there was no evidence of it on the plugin manager, like you mentioned  (and like I expected).  If you didn't download 9.0.01 previously, try it and see if you get an error message.

SteveG

« Reply #119 on: February 09, 2003, 07:38:02 am »

Everyone,

Sorry for the bumps in the road. It appears 9.0.109 is working, but I will have to do some testing to find out why it is not for some. Windows 98 could be relevant to the problem.  I will do some more checking tomorrow.

Steve

TimB

« Reply #120 on: February 09, 2003, 07:40:15 am »

Doh!  Never mind. :)

-=Tim=-

TimB

« Reply #121 on: February 09, 2003, 07:49:49 am »

OK I get:

Failed to install package.

More Info: Failed to register object
C;\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\hh_portables.dll

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #122 on: February 09, 2003, 09:11:45 am »

Did you type that by hand?  Because you've got a semi-colon where there should be a colon:

C;\Program....

should be:

C:\Program....

TimB

« Reply #123 on: February 09, 2003, 11:37:15 am »

Me bad.  I typed by hand.  Should be a :

-=Tim=-

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #124 on: February 09, 2003, 12:06:51 pm »

Everyone,

Sorry for the bumps in the road. It appears 9.0.109 is working, but I will have to do some testing to find out why it is not for some. Windows 98 could be relevant to the problem.  I will do some more checking tomorrow.

Steve

And Windows ME, as we appear to be encountering the same difficulties... ;)
And thanks for checking Tim--we are getting the identical error message w/r to the ipod plugin.

TimB

« Reply #125 on: February 09, 2003, 02:25:47 pm »

I'm looking forward to 98SE liberation, with a little luck it'll be happening this week and I'll have an all-XP house. :)

-=Tim=-

SteveG

« Reply #126 on: February 10, 2003, 06:58:31 am »

TimB and cct1,

Can you install any of the encoder Plug-ins on your 98 or ME systems?

Steve

TimB

« Reply #127 on: February 10, 2003, 07:11:44 am »

TimB and cct1,

Steve

Steve, using the old plugin page the plugin install actually crashed when I tried to install the MP3 plugin.   Did you mean to try one of the new handheld plugins in the new plugin page (they're the only JRiver ones I see)?

-=Tim=-

TimB

« Reply #128 on: February 10, 2003, 07:19:38 am »

....AND my MP3's aren't playing anymore.  MC9 won't open them. :(

:)

-=Tim=-

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #129 on: February 10, 2003, 11:09:26 am »

TimB and cct1,

Steve

I haven't tried any of the encoder plugins  (I don't get an error message when the encoder plugins download during MC 9 instillation.  I'll try downloading an encoder plugin later today when I get home  (any preference which?)

Thanks!

TimB

« Reply #130 on: February 10, 2003, 11:30:52 am »

BTW, that crash was in Packageinstaller.

Reinstalled 109 and apart from handheld failing to install everything's okey dokey.

-=Tim=-

SteveG

« Reply #131 on: February 10, 2003, 12:17:45 pm »

Tim and CCt1,

There is a new Plug-in posted(9.0.02) which will be included in the next build of MC. This should fix the registration problem for Win 98 and Win ME.

Thanks,

Steve

MrLucky

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #132 on: February 10, 2003, 02:59:58 pm »

Dude, Steve! I would like to just preface this by saying great job with the plugin and especially with taking the time to get user feedback and correct all related issuses! 8)

Anyway I installed the 9.0.02 plugin today I had 9.0.01 installed and it was working fine I just figured what the hell... I should have just left it alone but I didnt so now when I try to access my Ipod through Media Center (9.0.109) it crashes...a text box pops up with "stream error" and then I get the "A program has encounted a critical error" dialog.
Normally this doesnt bother me cause it gets typically gets fixed pretty quick however this time I leaving on a jet plane for arizona to do some buisness so I gotta get some tunes on my IPOD...
Do you have a link to the 9.0.01 plugin? or a way to get this resolved?  ?

Thanks for help.... 8)

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #133 on: February 10, 2003, 03:31:38 pm »

Tim and CCt1,

There is a new Plug-in posted(9.0.02) which will be included in the next build of MC. This should fix the registration problem for Win 98 and Win ME.

Thanks,

Steve

Well, I've got good news and bad news...The 9.0.02 plugin installs on version 109 with no  problems.  I reformatted and synched--it sends all the songs over, but none of the playlists--I tried it a couple of times with the same result  (and I checked, all the playlists were checked when I synched).  But at least I can download songs to my ipod--I'll try again on the next MC9 build, hopefully this will correct the playlist issues.

Thanks!  

Chris

SteveG

« Reply #134 on: February 11, 2003, 05:20:11 am »

Mr Lucky,

My best guess is that something got messed up in your database file. I do not think it is related to 9.0.02 becasue the changes were minimal.  Either try reformatting your iPod from within windows, or you can delete your iTunesDB folder on your iPod by going to iPod_Control\iTunes\iTunesDB through explorer. After you do this, open MC and then right click on your drive letter and select Format iPod. You will lose all your data on iPod through this, but then all should be well.

Chris,

When you are synching, do you have "Transfer All Files" selected? If so, deselect this. When this button is clicked no Playlists will transfer. It is an option for users who do not use Playlists.  To transfer all Playlists, click "Select All" (Playlists) and then deselect "Transfer All Files"

IDSmoker

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #135 on: February 11, 2003, 10:25:47 am »

My weekend fun as a beta tester:

I started my weekend of fun by downloading MC 109 and 9.01 of the plugin.  I didn't see any of the install issues everyone else apparently has.

Having read some posts about library database changes, and seeing some bugs/crashes that could be related to corrupted media library data, I decided to wipe everything out and start from scratch.  I deleted all of the media libraries (except for 'Default').  I created a new library and started the "Import Media" process.  

After getting a bunch of those annoying "Downloading Plugin/Unable to Find Server" messages (I've been seeing this issue, and reporting it, ever since I started using MC9), everything seem to have imported correctly.  Of course, I'm still seeing my movies listed as 'Audio' and my Audible files listed under 'Video', but at least I can work around that problem.

Next I recreated the dozen or so smart/play lists that I use with my iPod.

I did a "Restore" on my iPod using the Apple 1.2.1 Updater.  Then I configured and formatted the iPod within MC9.

Finally, I started syncing my iPod with a half-dozen of my smartlists (including one, called "Books", that only contains Audible files).  This is where the problems began.

Out of 7 attempts to sync with my iPod, I finally got one that was successful enough for me to call it done.  Considering that each sync took about an hour, it was fortunate that I had other computer work to do while this was going on.

The end of 7 different sync attempts
  • MC9 gets to the end of the sync process and then has a hard crash (requires task manager to remove from memory).  This one happened most often (maybe 3 out of 7).  I got in the habit of re-booting my PC, before starting the next round of "Format" and "Sync".
  • MC9 gets to the end of the sync process and then produces an "Invalid File" message with a filename.  This one happened twice.  I marked the files identified in the message, to prevent them from being transferring to the iPod (I've been using the 'Rating' value to remove some music from the iPod).
  • The 'sync' process completes 'normally' (only saw this twice, but I assume it was supposed to be normal).  Of course, if I left click on the iPod's drive letter (within MC9's Handheld tree), and try to left-click on any of the sub entries (like Playlists), MC9 will have a hard crash just like in the first option.  This happened after both of my "successful" syncs.

Results from 7 different sync attempts
  • After all of the unsuccessful transfers, the iPod would be missing several of the playlists I had marked for syncing.  There didn't seem to be a pattern in which ones wouldn't transfer (most of my sync attempts after the first one consisted of trying to transfer fewer smartlists).
  • During 3 different sync attempts, I included my Audible Books list with several lists that were only mp3 songs.  Two of these syncs ended with a playlist called (correctly) "Books" on the iPod, the third attempt ended with no playlists on the iPod, but  the playlist contained songs not Audible files.  Don't know where the contents of this list came from... it was very weird.  
  • For one sync attempt, I only selected the smartlist containing my Audible files.  This sync finished correctly, although MC9 still crashed when I tried to 'browse' the iPod.  The iPod contained the correct playlist, and the books would play correctly.  When I tried a subsequent sync, without first formatting the iPod, of some music smartlists, the "Books" list vanished.
  • My final, successful, sync attempt consisted of a subset of my smartlists, since this same subset had failed to transfer earlier, I was simply trying to confirm the error.  Imagine my suprise when it got to the end without error, and I found that all of the selected songs/playlists had transferred!  Of course, I still had over 2gb of space available on the iPod that I could have used for more music, but I decided to end my beta testing of MC9 for the weekend at this point.

Since my final sync did not include my Audible files, I ended up using Ephepod to create my Books playlist on the iPod.

Reproducible Bug:
I finally realized that one of the bugs I've been seeing was consistently reproducible (and avoidable).
  • Make a change to a smartlist.
  • Left-click on the drive letter for the iPod under the Handheld tree.  The Handheld tree must have been previously expanded.
  • Instead of the usual message box asking if you want to save the changes to the smartlist, MC9 crashes hard.  Requires Task Manager (or reboot) to remove from memory.

NOTE: Left-clicking on any of the iPod-specific subordinate options (i.e. Songs, Playlists, etc.) does not cause the crash.  Nor does left clicking on anything under the "Media Library" branch... I'm not sure of the other options, since I was unwilling to do any 'exhaustive' testing of this bug.

SteveG

« Reply #136 on: February 11, 2003, 11:25:51 am »

IDSmoker,

What Operating System do you have? If you have ME or 98, be sure to get Plug-in 9.0.02. In fact, get 9.0.02 regardless.

I could not reproduce your reproducible bug. Perhaps others can test as well.

Before you try another sync, can you try doing an "Update Library" to make sure all your files are current and exist? What you are descibing sounds like what can happen if you have files in MC that are no longer available. When you are synching, do you have "Transfer all files" checked? If so, uncheck it.

Try synching some smaller playlists without .aa files and see if you are still having problems.  If that works, reintroduce the .aa files and see if that is where the problem is.  With any feedback you give I can try to make more suggestions.

Steve

MrLucky

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #137 on: February 11, 2003, 01:00:49 pm »

My best guess is that something got messed up in your database file. I do not think it is related to 9.0.02 becasue the changes were minimal.  Either try reformatting your iPod from within windows, or you can delete your iTunesDB folder on your iPod by going to iPod_Control\iTunes\iTunesDB through explorer. After you do this, open MC and then right click on your drive letter and select Format iPod. You will lose all your data on iPod through this, but then all should be well.

Steve,
Just wanted to let ya know that I did wipe my IPOD clean and started from scratch shortly after posting that last message....and thinking about it for a little bit... I guess I paniced!  :P Anyway thanks for the help all is well now! 8)....

IDSmoker

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #138 on: February 12, 2003, 11:41:37 am »

IDSmoker,

What Operating System do you have? If you have ME or 98, be sure to get Plug-in 9.0.02. In fact, get 9.0.02 regardless.

I could not reproduce your reproducible bug. Perhaps others can test as well.

Before you try another sync, can you try doing an "Update Library" to make sure all your files are current and exist? What you are descibing sounds like what can happen if you have files in MC that are no longer available. When you are synching, do you have "Transfer all files" checked? If so, uncheck it.

Try synching some smaller playlists without .aa files and see if you are still having problems.  If that works, reintroduce the .aa files and see if that is where the problem is.  With any feedback you give I can try to make more suggestions.

Steve

Steve,

I use XP Pro on my home system.

I'll try doing an "Update Library" before this weekend's attempts, but since I started with a new library, imported the media from scratch, and only built some smartlists before my sync attempts, I'm not sure I see how the library could have been corrupted.  

I've been seeing the same sort of results all along with MC9 (although last weekend was one of the worst for the amount of time required to get my iPod setup with sufficient music/eBooks for the week).

Because I have 30gb of music in my Library (restricted using smartlists) and I normally format the iPod before syncing, I leave all of the sync checkboxes clear.

I'll try creating and syncing some smaller lists this weekend as a test.

SteveG

« Reply #139 on: February 12, 2003, 01:11:11 pm »

IDSmoker,

Thanks. I do not see other similar bug reports, so we will have to work  a little to isolate what is unique about your situation. Thanks for your patience.

Steve

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #140 on: February 12, 2003, 04:53:38 pm »

Experiencing a problem for the last few builds... including this one.

When I sync, all playlists on the iPod vanish.  I press Playlists, and have an empty page, except for the top line, which is blank.  When I select this "blank" playlist, the page shifts and I see that there are no files in it.  In the MC interface, all songs and playlists appear populated correctly.  Once unplugged, all the songs are on the iPod, there just aren't any playlists.

The only way that I can get playlists to appear is to "format iPod for mj" and sync.  No errors then.

I'm using the "delete files not in list" and "update tags" options.

Media Center 9.0.110 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 1494 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 785 MB, Free - 557 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145 (xpsp2.021108-1929) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   C:\WINDOWS\Media\Windows XP Balloon.wav

Burning /  Drive D: SAMSUNG  CD-R/RW SW-212B    Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:12  MaxSpeed:12  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: Yes /  Normalization: None
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

IDSmoker

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #141 on: February 13, 2003, 05:32:12 am »

IDSmoker,

Thanks. I do not see other similar bug reports, so we will have to work  a little to isolate what is unique about your situation. Thanks for your patience.

Steve

Thanks for making me feel special!  ::)

canaro99

• World Citizen
« Reply #142 on: February 13, 2003, 06:15:59 am »

I, too, have experienced the same problem as Kurt Young. Also, I have had songs appear on the iPod playlist that are not in the same playlist as shown in MC.

Media Center Registered 9.0.110 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 3 (Build 2195)
AMD Athlon 1398 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 272 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.6144 / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive F: LITE-ON  LTR-16102B         Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  Use MJ Engine:Yes
Thank you,

John

jhubers

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #143 on: February 13, 2003, 04:53:48 pm »

Steve,
I am still having .aa file problems as well as some playlist problems.  I am now using 9.0.111 and plugin 9.0.0.2.  I reformatted and synched my IPOD playlists, which included 2 playlists composed entirely of audible files.  The first playlist of 3 very large .aa files works just fine.  It was also the very first playlist that MC synched.  The second .aa playlist of about 10 10mb files synched but did 2 strange things.  First, the files won't play.  It is the same old problem: they show up and appear to be fine, but selecting them does nothing.  The second issue is that the files in the playlist were merged into another playlist.  The audible playlist shows up on the IPOD but now contains files from a completely different playlist.  I synched about a dozen playlists altogether and about half of them have the wrong files in them.  Interestingly the file count is correct for each list, it just has the wrong files in it.

SteveG

« Reply #144 on: February 13, 2003, 04:58:57 pm »

I was not in today, but will take a look at this tomorrow and post more.

Thanks,

Steve

SteveG

« Reply #145 on: February 14, 2003, 05:24:36 am »

Kurt, IDSmoker,canaro, jHubers,

I am unable to duplicate this running MC 9.0.112. Let me make a few suggestions, and then try to give me some specific ideas on how to duplicate your problem if you can. Also, please verify you have MC 9.0.112.

Kurt, IDSmoker and Canaro

Do you have "Select All Files" deselected?  If not, deselect it and then check the button for Select All (for Playlists and resynch.

Canaro and jHubers,

Are any of the playlists that are different between iPod and MC smartilists that have a "random" property? If so, these would be different.

jHubers,

Can you try a similar test without using .aa files and see if you have the same result?

Thanks,

Steve

Kurt Young

« Reply #146 on: February 16, 2003, 01:16:29 pm »

Steve,

I dunno what to tell you to help fix this one.  I don't have "transfer all files" selected (I have more than 20gb of music).  I do have "delete files not in list" and "update tags" selected.  When I load up MC, i delete the "auto smartlist" groups (they always appear again the next time I load up,  >:(), and then hit "Select all" in the sync dialogue.

I'm synching playlists and smartlists; mostly smartlists, though.  I do the sync, it breezes through in a minute or so, since it isn't updating much music.  When it's done, everything seems perfect when examined via MC.  No errors are reported during sync.  This is true for .113, .112, and .111, I believe.

When I unplug, there are no playlists.  Just that blank playlist with no contents.  All the music seems to be on the iPod (course, with 3000 songs, it's hard to tell if something's missing).  When I plug back in, quite a few songs have their "Playlist" column blank, even though I know that the only way they could have made it onto the iPod is because they were on a playlist.  Note: before I unplugged, all songs in MC's right pane claimed membership to at least one playlist.  After unplugging and replugging, a handful of them, seemingly at random, no longer claim playlist membership.

The only way to get playlists on my iPod is to format for MC and then resync.  I've tested this in a closed environment... not plugging into anything but my own computer.  Just this afternoon, I formatted, synced, was happy.  Plugged, resynched, was sad.

I can't remember which build started showing this problem, but it didn't used to do it.  I'll try it again with the "update tags" option off, but there's no way that I will try it with the "delete files not in list" option off... it would be counter to synching in the first place.

Sorry if that last bit was a bit off-color... I just dinna know how else to say it, and I've been in a bad mood for weeks now (though it's in no way anyone here's fault.  family thing.)
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

Kurt Young

« Reply #147 on: February 16, 2003, 02:16:07 pm »

Tried it with "update tags" turned off, but same results.  No playlists.   :'(
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

bmp

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #148 on: February 16, 2003, 05:49:35 pm »

same problem as kurt, it seems to be with any smartlist i have.

the first time i sync after a format and all is well.  next sync and all my playlists are gone gone gone.

easy fix for me is just format before every sync, but it can be inconvenient at times.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #149 on: February 16, 2003, 07:20:21 pm »

Hey Steve:

Sadly I too have now been bitten by this bug.  Turns out it wasn't effecting me because I never changed the Smartlists I was syncing before.  The contents of them would change fine, but they would always be there.

Well tonight, I unselected all the playlists I normally sync and selected a new batch of smartlists.  Did a sync w/delete and update checked (not transfer all files), and lo and behold--no playlists.

Tried again, just sync'd w/the same lists w/o Delete or Update tags checked, no go.

Deleted the playlists on the ipod itself and sync'd--no go.

So it appears we are all getting hit with this bug.  

Adam
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up