More > JRiver Media Center 29 for Linux

Theater View remote control bug

(1/2) > >>

cochinada:
Hello good people,

I have MC29 and Ubuntu.

Every time my MC starts in Theater View the remote doesn't work. I'm using FLIRC BTW. I have to use my mouse to select 'AUDIO' or 'Exit'.
I've programmed my remote such that OK = <ENTER>. The funniest thing is that after I use my mouse for selecting for instance the 'AUDIO', I can then start using the remote as intended.
That is, my OK key works just fine. It just doesn't work the 1st time.

I have also noticed that I have still MC28 installed and sometimes when I turn out my PC, MC starts in Theater View but then, eventually I land in a blank screen. This is sporadic.

How can I uninstall MC28 without causing more havoc as I think this might be conflicting with MC29 although I think this has nothing to do with the remote not working for the 1st time.

Thank you very much in advance.

cochinada:
No comments?

Can at least someone explain me how to uninstall the MC28 and if that would not cause issues?

Thanks.

mwillems:

--- Quote from: cochinada on February 01, 2023, 05:36:20 am ---No comments?

Can at least someone explain me how to uninstall the MC28 and if that would not cause issues?

Thanks.

--- End quote ---

So I've experienced the same issue you have with MC theater view.  The issue is that sometimes the MC theater view window isn't "in focus" even though it occupies the whole screen.  That's why it works normally once you've clicked the mouse on it once, the window is then focused and MC can receive the remote keypresses.  In my case, the issue only seems to happen when I configure MC to start up in theater view; if I start up in standard view and then switch to theater view I don't see the issue.  Can you give steps to reproduce it for you?  That might help bob identify the problem.

For uninstalling, how did you install MC28 to begin with?  The answer will be different depending on how you installed it.  Have you tried just using something like "apt-get remove mediacenter28"?

cochinada:

--- Quote from: mwillems on February 01, 2023, 10:57:56 am ---So I've experienced the same issue you have with MC theater view.  The issue is that sometimes the MC theater view window isn't "in focus" even though it occupies the whole screen.  That's why it works normally once you've clicked the mouse on it once, the window is then focused and MC can receive the remote keypresses.  In my case, the issue only seems to happen when I configure MC to start up in theater view; if I start up in standard view and then switch to theater view I don't see the issue.  Can you give steps to reproduce it for you?  That might help bob identify the problem.

For uninstalling, how did you install MC28 to begin with?  The answer will be different depending on how you installed it.  Have you tried just using something like "apt-get remove mediacenter28"?

--- End quote ---

Hi,

Funny enough I was thinking exactly about the MC not being in focus even as it appears in Theater view in all its splendor.
But the problem gets worse though as sometimes (many times actually) the screen becomes completely blank after the two Theater View buttons briefly appear for a few seconds and some text saying "press left, right, up, down to navigate, and OK to accept. Press green button to return home.". Then the infamous blank screen.
When this happens I have to connect a keyboard to my HTPC and try to access the Ubuntu desktop and then eventually kill the MC29 or alternatively go back to Standard View, as opposed to Theater View because at least I'm able with my remote to switch view modes, even when the screen is blank.
Other times, it is like you wrote. No blank screen but the app is not on focus. I've just experienced both these situations right now. When I don't get the blank screen, if I click anywhere then my remote OK works!
I have MC configured to always start in Theater View whenever I switch on my HTPC.

What else can I do to help troubleshoot this?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I've googled and ended up removing MC with that command you wrote: 'apt-get remove mediacenter28'. I don't remember how I've installed it at the time. I followed some instructions on a thread over here.

There is one other thing I've reported a while ago here and read that it was corrected but I regret to inform that it is not, at least on MC29. I'm talking about the cursor arrow that is still visible in Theater View which should not happen.

mwillems:

--- Quote from: cochinada on February 01, 2023, 02:37:45 pm ---Hi,

Funny enough I was thinking exactly about the MC not being in focus even as it appears in Theater view in all its splendor.
But the problem gets worse though as sometimes (many times actually) the screen becomes completely blank after the two Theater View buttons briefly appear for a few seconds and some text saying "press left, right, up, down to navigate, and OK to accept. Press green button to return home.". Then the infamous blank screen.
When this happens I have to connect a keyboard to my HTPC and try to access the Ubuntu desktop and then eventually kill the MC29 or alternatively go back to Standard View, as opposed to Theater View because at least I'm able with my remote to switch view modes, even when the screen is blank.
Other times, it is like you wrote. No blank screen but the app is not on focus. I've just experienced both these situations right now. When I don't get the blank screen, if I click anywhere then my remote OK works!
I have MC configured to always start in Theater View whenever I switch on my HTPC.

What else can I do to help troubleshoot this?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I've googled and ended up removing MC with that command you wrote: 'apt-get remove mediacenter28'. I don't remember how I've installed it at the time. I followed some instructions on a thread over here.

There is one other thing I've reported a while ago here and read that it was corrected but I regret to inform that it is not, at least on MC29. I'm talking about the cursor arrow that is still visible in Theater View which should not happen.

--- End quote ---

I'm not sure that there is a user side fix for the theater view issue.  The way I solve the problem is have MC start in standard mode and then press a remote button to enter theater view.  For some reason MC always has focus when I do it that way, but autostarting in theater view often/always lacks focus for me.  Maybe bob can weigh in on what's different when MC starts in theater view?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version