INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cleaning up Tags  (Read 253 times)

Shandit66

Cleaning up Tags
« on: January 26, 2023, 08:03:17 am »

I'm new to MediCenter, so apologies if these are dumb questions - I did try to find answers in past posts.

In the past, I maintained all my music on a big PC, using MediaMonkey - which I was a huge fan off.
But the PC is being retired, as I go all Mac.
Finding a music player comperable to MediaMonkey has been a challenge, but MC seems to be very close.

So....

I have a large collection (~300gb) from when I ripped all my CDs
These are stored on a 2012 Mac Pro, RAID 1 - which is my household music server, connected to my other macs.

When I ripped all my CDs I used MediaMonkey, which has some excellent features for managing the meta tags:
- drag & drop a file to a new genre and it updates the genre tags,
- I can select multiple files and do that same, hence update the tagging in batches
or
- select many files, right click to get a dialog box, where i could manually edit tags, in a batch
- I had set up rules, to have the program arrange my files, on the drive in a clean structure, when I changed tags, automatically

The advantage is that if I use a different music program, the whole structure is nice and clean.

Questions
1 - MC seems to have some of the same features, but so far I have not figured out how to that.
2 - is there a way to set up rules for how the files are organized on the server?  ex:
      Genre/Artist/album/song name

Thanks for the help

Olaf

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Cleaning up Tags
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 09:52:39 am »

You should be able to learn how from the wiki.  Start with Tagging.  There's on option to tag on import.  Read about the tool called Rename, Move, and Copy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up