INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Port Forwarding  (Read 870 times)

mplicit

• Junior Woodchuck
Port Forwarding
« on: January 26, 2023, 07:15:46 pm »

Hi.
I'm trying to set up port forwarding on my router.
My  Router has a fix (static) IP provided by my ISP.
My Desktop where JRiver App and Sever are located also has a static IP  which I set through my router
I managed to find using an external utility a port that is open and used by JRiver.port 52101
My destination IP is my static IP of my desktop
I am not sure what should my source IP be.
I tried to put my ISP static ip , my gateway IP (192.168.1.1) and my desktop static IP. None of them worked. I get the message that the server of my ISP static IP cannot be accessed.
I tested using Jremote2 Gizmo and Panel with no success. I made sure that the firewall was not the cause by disable(ing) it - still with no success.
Could you please help?
Thanks

Please note:
My os is Windows 10(64)
I have MC29 and MC30(48) running in parallel on my desktop.
Router: Technicolor DWA0100 - DSL
The tests were carried out with MC29.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Port Forwarding
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 07:51:27 pm »

The destination port should be 52199.
The source address can only be set if you are accessing your server from another static IP outside of your network.
Otherwise I'm guessing you should set it to 0.0.0.0
If you do this your MC will be open to the whole wide world web in which case you should require authentication maybe just read-only if you don't need write access and set a very good username and password for it.

mplicit

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 08:00:59 pm »

Not necessarily. It can be 51299 51298 51297 or any open other port that JRiver Can use.
The whole purpose of this exercise is to be able to remotely listen to my music library when I'm not at home I.e. outside my Network at home.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2023, 08:18:17 pm »

Not necessarily. It can be 51299 51298 51297 or any open other port that JRiver Can use.
The whole purpose of this exercise is to be able to remotely listen to my music library when I'm not at home I.e. outside my Network at home.
That port is normally 52199 unless you change it.
I had a static IP address at the office I could use as the source address so that it couldn't be accessed elsewhere.

rec head

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2023, 07:30:09 am »

Sorry I can't help but I want to say thanks. I have been trying to get port forwarding to work for years and it hasn't worked. I have a new PC with the server on it and this thread made me think to try again. Et voila! I did all the same things and it just took me less than 5 minutes to get it set up. So thanks for getting me to try again.

mplicit

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2023, 03:22:56 pm »

Thanks.
It works here as well. It was a firewall issue.
Now I'm trying to find a way to play my music library remotely (outside my network) on the speakers connected to the network where I am e.g. my friend's house). I see instead the list of the speakers conected to my local network at home.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2023, 03:55:14 pm »

Thanks.
It works here as well. It was a firewall issue.
Now I'm trying to find a way to play my music library remotely (outside my network) on the speakers connected to the network where I am e.g. my friend's house). I see instead the list of the speakers conected to my local network at home.
If you using another instance of MC, just play to its player zone. If you are playing to devices on the network at your remote location you should still just see them in your zone list (along with the there: zones from your house) if you are on the wifi network at your remote location.
If you don't want to see your home zones on the client, under the clients Settings, Media Network, Client Options you can unclick the option "Show playback zones from the server on the client"

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2023, 04:16:33 pm »

MC is only going to offer to play to the network it sees, regardless of where you access it from. So even though you can hit your home network externally, your MC Server will only see your home network, so that's what it will offer.

To do what you want you could ask JRemote to play to the local device, then bluetooth or cast to something local to where you are.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2023, 06:27:04 pm »

MC is only going to offer to play to the network it sees, regardless of where you access it from. So even though you can hit your home network externally, your MC Server will only see your home network, so that's what it will offer.

To do what you want you could ask JRemote to play to the local device, then bluetooth or cast to something local to where you are.
The MC client will also be able to play on its local network DLNA devices (and local hardware zones) from the material on the server.
Pages: [1]   Go Up