INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: Android Auto & JRiver for Android  (Read 2017 times)

cncb

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
NEW: Android Auto & JRiver for Android
« on: February 01, 2023, 01:43:30 pm »

Android Auto is now supported in JRiver for Android.  Make sure you run the app first and get your main library setup or access a remote library before you run Android Auto.

Browsing the Library

You can browse all the root library views but can only play music in Android Auto.  If you are accessing a library server and want customized root library views, create a custom root view in MC on the server named "Auto" (in "Customize views for JRemote, Gizmo & Panel...").  Then all the views under that will be shown as the root views in Android Auto. 

It only shows the first 500 items in a view due to memory concerns, so if you have a lot of Artists, for example, it is recommended to create a custom view under "Auto" that groups by letter.

Play by Voice

You can also do a basic search and play with Google Assistant.  On your device launch the Google app and tap your user icon in the upper right corner.  Go to Settings | Google Assistant | Music and select "No default provider".  Then tap the microphone icon in AA and say "play sting", for example.  You can set the shuffle and repeat modes in the Playing Now screen in AA.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

DougHamm

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Android Auto & JRiver for Android
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2023, 09:50:38 pm »

Hey folks - interesting timing, releasing this just as Coolwalk is rolling out. It updated for me yesterday and unfortunately the only two apps that don't work are MO4Media and JRiver Android.  :-[

I found after buying JR4A today that my root folders under Auto aren't showing. Playlist do but I have a folder called Stereo Music that filters out any multichannel music and it simply doesn't show up in the AAuto screen. Just the playlists.

I'd love to give a screen shot, but more frustratingly the app has now decided not to load my remote media library - it just sits and spins the green circle forever trying to connect.  Eve Uninstalling it doesn't help - the app seems bricked.  :-\

P.S. When I installed it earlier today and successfully connected to my media server it proceeded to download 5 gigs of data without warning. Presumably the cover art.  25% of my monthly plan on the second day of the month. Ugh. Might want to throw up a warning in a future update.  Now I'm not even sure I want to get it debricked since I can't afford for it to do another massive update over cell...

- Doug

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2023, 07:11:26 am »

Hi Doug,
Sorry for the problems.  We're still learning.

5GB is a lot of data.  How big is the MC database?  How many files?

Try setting up a small library to share.

I assume you've loaded a remote library, and you're not just playing the files you have on the device.  A local library would avoid the download issue.

Bricked ... You may have started up at home when you had a fast connection, then switched to mobile before loading it  again.  Try waiting.  We're not showing progress as we should be.

DougHamm

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023, 03:33:51 pm »

Hey Jim!  Thanks for the quick reply. 

I spent some time last night uninstalling, reinstalling, reconnecting to the library and patiently hitting "wait" every 30 seconds until it eventually seemed to fully load.  All on Wi-Fi this time.  :D 

It's a big-ish library of about 26,000 songs, all with cover art, lyrics, etc.  I exported the library XML to gauge the size and it's 220MB.  Album art would be pretty massive.  Not sure how that translates to the several-minute load time for the library though, especially on multi-gig Wi-Fi.  That progress bar would help.  ;)

Now that I have an accessible library again, I'll give AAuto another shot tonight and get a screenshot of what I see vs. what I should see.  Unlike MO4Media, which I've been running for a long time, I don't know how JR4A might display my library on the pre-Coolwalk version of AAuto.  With this polar vortex I haven't been in a big hurry to hop in the car these past few days!

Cheers,
-Doug

EDIT: I made the mistake of switching to local library and now it's freezing indefinitely trying to get back to the remote library. Looks like I'm back to square one.  Luckily AAuto has since decided to play nicely with MO4Media again (I'll put my suggested fix in the other thread.)

All the same I look forward to seeing how the app develops!

Link70

• Recent member
Re: NEW: Android Auto & JRiver for Android
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2023, 04:32:25 am »

Hi all,
I've installed JRiver for android to listen my library in the car.
I've previously installed Mo4media and it works fine, bat sometimes it loses server connection.
But I'm a JRiver fan and i could't resist to try the android version for my car.
Today is the first day of use and all warks fine, also if my library has more then 15000 tracks.

Thanks to all JRiver team.

nelsentkd

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2023, 07:48:58 am »

Have been using Mo4media for years now. Thought I would try JRiver for Android. Started on my home network, but the library wouldn't load. Have a huge library, so maybe this isn't possible yet. Oh, wait, it is working now.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2023, 07:50:18 am »

It might take some time but it should work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up