INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New remote to replace the Harmony 650  (Read 860 times)

lello

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
New remote to replace the Harmony 650
« on: February 10, 2023, 11:23:49 am »

Currently I manage the entire audio video system (htpc, receiver and projector) with only the Logitech Harmony 650 remote control.

Unfortunately it's starting to have some problems with the buttons, so I thought I'd get another one, but I read that Logitech no longer produces remote controls for some time: what do you recommend to manage the whole system with a single remote?

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
Re: New remote to replace the Harmony 650
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2023, 10:15:36 am »

Isn't quite as good, but the Interset remote is what I went to when the Harmony went down.

https://www.amazon.com/Inteset-Universal-Backlit-Learning-Streamers/dp/B00M4I1BAY

There is a guy that sells the board for Harmony if you want to try to fix your Harmony.

cosmicmessenger

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 06:42:41 pm »

I was having the same problems with my Harmony 650. I ended up buying a like new one, off e-bay for $60. I use the same stored Logitech program as the old one and it works perfectly.

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2023, 06:36:59 am »

Isn't quite as good, but the Interset remote is what I went to when the Harmony went down.

https://www.amazon.com/Inteset-Universal-Backlit-Learning-Streamers/dp/B00M4I1BAY

There is a guy that sells the board for Harmony if you want to try to fix your Harmony.

Interesting, thanks.

Can activities be created like with the Harmony?

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2023, 02:25:29 pm »

Isn't quite as good, but the Interset remote is what I went to when the Harmony went down....

I also went to the Interset remote.  It works well for my usage.

=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

eve

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2023, 05:32:59 pm »

Tablets for 'complete' control and a heavy, 8 button aluminum remote control (It's for a CD Transport or something, I bought it because it felt nice) in a traditional form factor for simple functions.

I use a BroadLink RM4 to actually send IR commands to physical devices. This lets me have the benefits of IP control / automation while still handling traditional devices that lack RS232 or IP control themselves.

For the generic remote, I 'read' it's IR commands and then act upon them as needed. This allows me to have 'pause' for example, send the correct command (in most cases an IP command to a player) contextually based upon my current activity. If it needs to control an actual IR device? No worry, the BroadLink can send the correct IR sequence.

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2023, 09:33:52 am »

Activities can be programmed, but it is limited in how many, and not as simple as Harmony.

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2023, 11:05:30 am »

One thing i would really like to see in the Inteset remote is the ability to clone the programming (including macros) from one remote to another. 

I like having the second copy of the programming for back-up purposes.  But it is also helpful when moving to a new Inteset remote, i.e., just copy the programming from one to the other instead of having to re-do the programming on the new remote.

For now, I have a document that lists all the customization steps I need to do when I get a new Inteset remote.
=========

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2023, 08:52:16 pm »

Tablets for 'complete' control and a heavy, 8 button aluminum remote control ...

Ya know, that sounds most interesting.

Can you elaborate?

What tablet?  What can it control?

thanx.

=========

eve

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2023, 08:04:36 am »

Ya know, that sounds most interesting.

Can you elaborate?

What tablet?  What can it control?

thanx.

I went from android tablets, to x86 tablets. x86 is the clear winner but the really cheap android tablets aren't the worst either

In general, the majority of my touch interface is based around Home Assistant. Eventually I may write my own frontend for it entirely instead of relying on Lovelace (Home Assistant's UI) but in general HA is the easiest way I've found to deal with tons of different IoT devices, software, media hardware, etc.

Home Assistant handles lighting , system automation, and media playback control (including audio track / sub selection, control of MadVR, DSP profiles etc). I use a custom frontend for my film and television library, and another piece of software handles music libraries. So to make the experience seamless, I have these setup as tabs in addition to the main control interface, with some logic for trying to make switching between them for activities and stuff smarter.

https://www.home-assistant.io

I have a tablet in most rooms on the wall for lighting / general things, on the couches and at my desk. I wrap the entire web 'frontend' into an application with Nativefier (super easy, and cross platform). So you lock everything else out, have the tablets boot up to the application and just kill the screen (or turn off the backlight) after 5 seconds without touch input. When a user touches the screen, it turns back on without any delay.

https://github.com/nativefier/nativefier

Pages: [1]   Go Up