INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can we get some better error messages?  (Read 328 times)

RemyJ

• Citizen of the Universe
Can we get some better error messages?
« on: February 28, 2023, 12:06:18 pm »

I killed a half hour yesterday trying to figure out why video clips I imported on Sunday just gave me a "There was a problem with playback" message and why clips I imported yesterday imported as "data" instead of "video".    It was my own fault...  I did a remote system upgrade on my video workstation, which also upgraded MC 30.0.55 to 30.0.67 then went over to the workstation a few hours later.  After a half hour of fiddling I finally decided to wade through the logs and found "JRVideoRendererContextVulkan::InitializeContext: Failed to create Vulkan device".    AhHa! I forgot to reboot so the drivers were inconsistent.

I probably should have looked at the logs first but they're so verbose and nothing's marked with traditional NOTICE, WARNING, ERROR, severities so its hard to figure out what's an issue and what isn't.   On the other hand, if the popup had just said "Failed to create Vulkan device" I would have known immediately what the issue was.

If we can't get more detail in the popups, can we filter what goes to the logs by severity maybe?

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce
Pages: [1]   Go Up