INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Airplay to Homepods slows playback noticeably  (Read 371 times)

johnkaess

• Junior Woodchuck
Airplay to Homepods slows playback noticeably
« on: March 02, 2023, 03:49:18 pm »

This is a strange problem, and I've spent most of the day troubleshooting and trying to confirm exactly what is going in. This is not new, I've suspected it for many months, but did not have time until today to try and troubleshoot exactly what is going on.

Here's the actual problem. I'll follow with the process I've used to try and narrow it down to JRiver Media Center. I've done all my troubleshooting on 30.0.66 and then confirmed it still exists in 30.0.69

Playback from Media Center to my iMac speakers is correct with no issues. I'm running Ventura 13.2.1, my iMac is a 27" 2020 intel model with 32 gigs ram. I am using the Core Audio default under the Audio section of Options in JRiver Media Center and i have nothing configured or checked in the DSP and Output section.

I have a pair of Homepod mini's updated to current version 16.3.2 They are paired together as a stereo pair.

When i change the sound output from iMac speakers to the stereo paired homepods (using the speaker icon on the Menu bar of the iMac) the pitch of any music that is played with JRiver Media Center is lower and the speed is slower. It sounds like someone put a finger on a reel to reel tape and slowed it down. I conducted multiple tests with a track that is 4:50 long. When played on the iMac speakers it plays for 4:50 (i used a stopwatch). When played through thr stereo homepods the same track plays for 5:14. The speed is constant, no fluctuation, just slower and lower in pitch.

I did two more tests to see if the problem was my iMac or JRiver Media Center as follows:

I played the same track (this is a digital ALAC file on my iMac drive, not streaming) through Apple Music to my iMac speakers and also through airplay to the stereo homepods. It plays at the proper speed with no problem both ways.

I then loaded a utility from Rogue Amoeba called Airfoil which allows playing music from my iMac to multiple airplay enabled speakers throughout my home. Playing the same file using JRiver Media Center and the file plays perfectly to the stereo homepods and any other speakers i select using Airfoil.

So the problem is: Playing any of my music files with JRiver Media Center to my stereo homepods results in the music playing verifiably slower and at a lower pitch. Playing with JRiver media center directly to my iMac speakers plays properly. Playing using Apple Music or using JRiver through the Airfoil utility also plays properly.

I have checked and unchecked the DSP box for integer mode and it makes no difference. The exclusive box is unchecked. I've never been able to check that DSP box because it crashes JRiver Media Center so i long ago changed it to unchecked.

I'd appreciate any tips or other options to try.

BYW, i also have a zone set up to play directly from JRiver Media Center to my DAC (a schiit Bifrost) and i have no issues whatever with playback with that zone.

retiredteacherguy

• World Citizen
Re: Airplay to Homepods slows playback noticeably
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2023, 02:13:26 pm »

changes to speed/pitch are due to different sample rates being used at the same time. So it sounds like Airplay wants a different rate than Media Center is using. Are you making sure MC is fully stopped (not just paused) before you switch to Airplay? And/or is Media Center set to a sample rate that Airplay does not support?

johnkaess

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2023, 03:16:45 pm »

Yes, stopped, not paused before switching to Airplay.

The file i'm testing on is 44.1/16 ALAC, and it plays perfectly through Apple Music or using the Rogue Amoeba app Airfoil. It is only when i play the file through Airplay to the stereo homepods using JRiver Media Center.

retiredteacherguy

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2023, 06:49:22 am »

Don’t know if this is possible (I don’t have any homepods) but if you go to Options… Audio in Media Center are you able to choose the homepods as your Audio Device? Perhaps that would force a sample rate match.

johnkaess

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2023, 09:38:44 am »

I have 4 options:

(Default) [Core Audio]  - my normal setting for everything except when i play to my DAC
Schiit Bifrost Unison USB [Core Audio] - my DAC
iMac Speakers [Core Audio] - I've not seen a need for this since my iMac plays fine using the top option
Null Output

retiredteacherguy

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2023, 09:41:48 am »

What output sample rate are you using in MC?

johnkaess

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2023, 01:52:52 pm »

I was under the impression that Airplay can play files up to 48/24, so i had the DSP and Output set to Screenshot 1 in my Airplay Zone. This is the setting which was causing the files to play slower than they should when sending them to my stereo paired homepods.

When i changed it to Screenshot 2 everything now seems to work fine.

? I do not understand why the Airplay Zone needs to be set to play everything at 44.1 or below, but that does solve the problem i originally posted about.

If you can explain why this is how it works, it may help me in future settings adjustments.

Thank you.

retiredteacherguy

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2023, 01:59:36 pm »

Yeah, Airplay is limited to 16 bit 44. There are exceptions to that for Apple Music, but I suspect what they are doing in those cases is that the homepod is accessing Apple Music directly and not really using Airplay per se. In any case, at least you know what to do now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up