INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote Desktop connection to Ubuntu PC configured for Automatic Login  (Read 446 times)

Evertb1

I have installed MC 30 on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. I want to use it as a DLNA server and only for music. I needed to do some work before everything was running OK. But with the help of some Google searches and some help from this very site everything is running OK now.

I want to run the Ubuntu box headless and access it's desktop by a Remote Desktop connection. And there is where my remaining problem lies.

I have configured JRiverMC to start with the OS, but it only starts running when there is a user logged in.
So I have configured Ubuntu for autologin for my default user. That works but give me a problem. I can't log in with Remote Desktop as long as my default user is logged in.

For the moment when I have the need to log in on the ubuntu desktop I use Putty and log in with SSH. Then I edit the custom.conf file with this line
Code: [Select]
AutomaticLoginEnable=falseAfter that I save the file and perform a reboot. After reboot I am able to access Ubuntu with Remote Desktop again. It works, but I don't find it a very elegant solution.

I wonder if there is somebody out there with a more convenient solution? If am open for suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Remote Desktop connection to Ubuntu PC configured for Automatic Login
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2023, 10:35:13 am »

You are probably getting locked out, which is why it starts working again immediately after a reboot.

This extension will fix that for you: https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/4338/allow-locked-remote-desktop/
Pages: [1]   Go Up