INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old Niggle: Clarify the MC Media Network Ports list  (Read 436 times)

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Old Niggle: Clarify the MC Media Network Ports list
« on: March 07, 2023, 11:45:37 pm »

It's great that MC Tree > Services & Plug-ins > Media Network lists the five ports used by MC servers within a LAN.

Old Niggle:  Please label which port is UDP and which are TCP/IP.  This will help non-experts set their firewalls.

Example (attached below):  For McAfee Total Protection, the five Firewall ports listed by Media Network are opened to two MC services.  While I don't know if this is the minimum required set (can someone else answer that?), it does allow all my Android player apps to control MC.  Note:  I do not open these ports to the internet.

Yes Jim, I know it's not Microsoft Defender, but it works!

3/10/2023 Warning:  see Reply#2 below!

Windows 11 Pro (64-bit)  JRiver MC 30.0.76

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
Re: Old Niggle: Clarify the MC Media Network Ports list
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2023, 02:26:59 pm »

Media Center uses TCP, not UDP

The port setting (non-SSL) explicitly states "TCP Port"

SSL would be TCP as well.

TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
Re: Old Niggle: Clarify the MC Media Network Ports list
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2023, 11:29:19 am »

The port setting (non-SSL) explicitly states "TCP Port"

SSL would be TCP as well.
Thanks for pointing that out (Options > Media Network > Advanced).  I believe this port would have to be set for Port Forwarding in the router firewall as well, in order to access the MC server from outside the LAN.

Example (attached below):  For McAfee Total Protection, the five Firewall ports listed by Media Network are opened to two MC services.  While I don't know if this is the minimum required set (can someone else answer that?)...
Answering my own question:  For MC Remotes and clients within the LAN, the minimum required set of requested firewall open ports = THE EMPTY SET (except maybe UDP 1900, which is a UPNP port commonly used by other processes anyway).
That is, the McAfee settings shown in the OP are NOT required in my environment.  I unchecked those McAfee firewall boxes, rebooted, confirmed they remain unchecked, and my MC remote apps and clients all continue to work just fine as of today!  :)

Nevertheless, those five ports are in fact available to MC, as shown in MC's Media Network display window.  As an independent confirmation, I run netstat commands such as the following in an elevated Windows Command Window on the MC server:

Code: [Select]
netstat -ano | find "1900"
Code: [Select]
netstat -qbn -p TCP
Their output confirms (after decoding numerical PIDs with Task Manager if necessary): 1900 is UDP used by MC, and the other four ports are TCP used by MC.  But as an end user, I don't have to setup my firewall to make it all work locally.

So far, a long-winded breath of fresh air for me :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up