INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC crashes when trying to import a .mkv file that has a (wrong) mp4 extension  (Read 331 times)

yonkiman

• World Citizen

One cool thing about the Irfanview image viewer (native to Windows) is that if it finds an image file whose type doesn't match its file extension, it will ask if you want to change the file extension.  For example if it loads a .png image with a .jpg extension, it will pop up a window that says "This is a PNG file incorrectly labeled JPG - would you like to change the extension to PNG?  Y/N".

I always thought that was pretty cool, so on a whim I renamed "example.mkv" to "example.mkv.mp4", and MC crashes when trying to import it into the library.  I tried it on another .mkv file and got the same result.  Interestingly, I changed the extension of a .avi file to ".mp4", and it loaded into the library and played fine.

Anyway, I just wanted to bring it to your attention in case JRiver wants to take a look at it.  It's not something that comes up much, but one mislabeled in thousands will cause MC to crash during import, which could lead to someone spending a lot of time debugging.  How do I know?  Because I forgot I'd changed the extension and all the sudden MC was crashing every time I tried to import my library.  After I realized the crash was probably a bad file, I did an 50 minute binary search through my 1,500 video files before I narrowed it down to 3 files, one of which was the obviously misnamed file.

This was debugged with 30.0.72, but I noticed it starting around 0.55.  I imagine this behavior has actually been around for a long time if not forever, and maybe applies to the Windows and Mac versions as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up