INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to preserve tagging when moving library to new directory  (Read 371 times)

bannonb

• Junior Woodchuck
How to preserve tagging when moving library to new directory
« on: March 28, 2023, 11:09:48 am »

Hey all:

Work is going to disable my ability to have an external ssd...where my video library is.

I moved all to a NAS (not perfect but suitable) and reimportd.  I found that many tag changes (mostly name) were lost.

I turned off sidecar tagging mode but have "update tags when file info changes" on.  Worked great on stable SSD file location.  So I have a couple of questions about how to get those back:

1.) Should I have sidecar tagging on to make the library portable to a new location/computer?
     -only seems to build sidecars when changes are made...any way to bulk create those (if needed)?

2.) Is there a better way to move all files with all the metadata to a new location?

Thanks,

bannonb
------
BannonB

lepa

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

bannonb

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: How to preserve tagging when moving library to new directory
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 11:47:57 am »

Thanks, I tried searching but wasn't confident in the findings or my search terms.

I will try that (if needed) after properly copying/with overwrite into the destination directory.  I initially copied with skip on, therefore missed the updated files with any tag updates.

I was able to simply overwrite files and preserve my changes...although import dates are lost.  I will use the move, copy capability to see if that gets preserved.

Thanks,

Bannonb
------
BannonB
Pages: [1]   Go Up