INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume Control Settings - odd behaviour  (Read 438 times)

David Sydney

• Galactic Citizen
Volume Control Settings - odd behaviour
« on: April 01, 2023, 11:40:51 pm »

I seem to have struck an odd problem after just migrating my library from Windows to Linux base. The tracks play fine - until I attempt to change the system volume then it goes silent. I mean on my Straife Keyboard which has a volume wheel OR change volume in the task icon (latest version of Arch based Manjaro + KDE Plasma). The volume control slider in the MC window works fine when changing with the mouse.

I am also not getting any audio out of cloudplay after logging in and playing a playlist?

I have tried every setting under Options, Audio, Volume Mode and it still does not work. Perhaps a paculiarity of Linux/KDE? Has anyone else seen this behaviour and worked out what settings are required?

D
Dave
------
Linux Manjaro 23 / Windows 10 Pro | i7 14700K Gigabyte Z790 UD AX | JRMark 10253 | Realtek Integrated HDAudio SPDIF | PC Sound - Yamaha TSS-15 5.1 DAC (will be sad when capacitors die!)| Real Sound - DLNA Network to Yamaha RX-V777 Receiver Living Room + Deck | DLNA to Paired Yamaha WiFi WX-010 MusicCast Speakers to Outside Areas

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Volume Control Settings - odd behaviour
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2023, 08:59:19 am »

I seem to have struck an odd problem after just migrating my library from Windows to Linux base. The tracks play fine - until I attempt to change the system volume then it goes silent. I mean on my Straife Keyboard which has a volume wheel OR change volume in the task icon (latest version of Arch based Manjaro + KDE Plasma). The volume control slider in the MC window works fine when changing with the mouse.

I am also not getting any audio out of cloudplay after logging in and playing a playlist?

I have tried every setting under Options, Audio, Volume Mode and it still does not work. Perhaps a paculiarity of Linux/KDE? Has anyone else seen this behaviour and worked out what settings are required?

D

So it sounds like you've got some kind of conflict between the system volume control and volume control in MC.  Can you explain what audio output device you're using in JRiver, what audio output device you have selected in the system default audio settings, and what your JRiver volume settings are?

David Sydney

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Volume Control Settings - odd behaviour
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2023, 08:06:57 am »

I am going to chalk this down to Linux (Manjaro) somewhat odd behaviour with Pulse Audio. I changed the audio device back to the default (ALSA) and it behaves as expected on the volume control! What's more JRiver shows direct processing ( coloured Cog wheel) However unlike Windows even with direct processing - it still mixes other channels like a browser playing youtube video.

This is not possible on Windows which is why I have several zones setup. PC Mix in windows had convienience of multimixing channels if I was multitasking - but with lessor quality. If I wanted to just listen to music in highest quality I would switch zones to direct ASPI(? can't remeber off top of mind) driver and sound was direct to amp decoder but could not hear other windows output.

Apparently no need for that using the default driver in Linux - good news - although I don't quite believe it...?
Dave
------
Linux Manjaro 23 / Windows 10 Pro | i7 14700K Gigabyte Z790 UD AX | JRMark 10253 | Realtek Integrated HDAudio SPDIF | PC Sound - Yamaha TSS-15 5.1 DAC (will be sad when capacitors die!)| Real Sound - DLNA Network to Yamaha RX-V777 Receiver Living Room + Deck | DLNA to Paired Yamaha WiFi WX-010 MusicCast Speakers to Outside Areas
Pages: [1]   Go Up