INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Compilation tag, Album Artist, etc.  (Read 594 times)

dmitch77

• World Citizen
Compilation tag, Album Artist, etc.
« on: April 04, 2023, 11:51:29 am »

I'm trying to understand the Auto Album Artist mechanism (https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Album_Artist_and_Album_Artist_(Auto)). I can't see any mention of the boolean "Compilation" tag in the actual audio file. I only see discussion of Artist, Album Artist, and Album fields. Ditto for the "Multiple Artist Albums" page (https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Multiple_Artist_Albums). How exactly does MC use the Compilation tag?

I am trying to set things up some I can find songs on compilations both of these ways:
  • Under each artist on the compilation, and
  • Under something like "Various artists"

I want each song on a compilation to show up in both of those places. How would I go about that?

Thanks.

dmitch77

• World Citizen
Re: Compilation tag, Album Artist, etc.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2023, 01:25:23 pm »

After some experimentation and studying I have concluded that

• The Compilation flag in the EXIF tags is ignored by MC.
  • In a Panes view, there is currently no way for files with different values for "Artist" and "Album Artist" to appear under both fields - e.g. under both "Santana" and "Various Artists".

Both of these surprise me, if true. Are they both in fact true? If so, please consider this a feature request to optionally allow displaying by both "Artist" and "Album Artist" in a Panes view. Note that iTunes current does exactly this, in its browser view (which is like MC's Panes view).

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2023, 05:53:12 am »

dmitch - If the Album Artist for all your Compilations is set to "Various Artists" then try this..

In Standard View Right-Click on the word/heading "Audio" and add the "Panes (genre, artist, album)" Library View.

Once it's been loaded right-click on it and select "Customise View..." and change "Show Categories in this order" to this "Album Artist", "Artist" and "Album".

Every Time you open that View it will list every "Album Artist, Artist and Album.

Clicking on an "Album Artist" name, i.e. "Various Artists" will cause the view to redraw to show only the "Artists" that appear on that "Album Artists" Albums and in the Details List.

If you then select one of the "Artists" listed in Column 2 (Artist) only those "Albums" that artist appears on will be showing in Column 3 (Albums) and the Details List

Incidentally MC does have a Compilation Tag but, since EXIF Tags are not normally used for Audio Files it is not set up to recognize it, or inherit, it's value

Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 09:50:00 am »

Hi dmitch77.  Can you explain how you're using EXIF with audio files?

We have EXIF reading, but it's only used for images.

Audio files normally have their own native tags.

What format are you using?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

dmitch77

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2023, 10:04:23 am »

Audio files normally have their own native tags.

Ah, you're right, my apologies. I was mixing up audio and image terminology.

The Compilation flag is displayed by MC as in the first attachment, and in Metadatics in the second attachment. Both programs know about it and can diaplay it, but AFAICT MC doesn't do anything with it when it comes to sorting or listing. I don't know where in the file it's stored.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2023, 10:12:06 am »

For us, the field "Mix Album" is calculated automatically.

If your files have a different album artist and artist, which they do, it should get set to true.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

dmitch77

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2023, 11:44:35 am »

So what I did is:

• Added a new library view called Compilations. Only files with "Mix Album" = True are displayed. It displays panes, showing Genre, then Album.
  • Changed all other views and panes to display "Artist" instead of "Album Artist (Auto)".

So now I can look up compilation albums by their genre and album name, if I want to listen to a whole album. Or I can look up one artist's song which might happen to be on a compilation album, but I look it up under that artist's name. These two lookups happen in different views.

Problem solved! It would have been a bit easier if I could have filtered by the existing "compilation" flag that is in the files, but AFAICT, is not accessible in the MC data base. I had to modify a bunch of Album Artist fields to make sure the derived "Mix Album" was set correctly.

Thanks for the help, all, I knew this had to be doable somehow.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2023, 12:13:45 pm »

Problem solved! It would have been a bit easier if I could have filtered by the existing "compilation" flag that is in the files, but AFAICT, is not accessible in the MC data base.
Did you try to make new field called Compilation? MC should be able to then map it to compilation tag. You could then do "update library from tags" to few files to test it works
Pages: [1]   Go Up