INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adding thumbnail picture to replace icon on Home Movies  (Read 379 times)

David Sydney

• Galactic Citizen
Adding thumbnail picture to replace icon on Home Movies
« on: April 12, 2023, 08:35:16 pm »

Hi there I have been on a mission to extract old DV and VHS tape footage lately. Most have a thumbnail created for them but a few do not and just show the default purple movie camera icon. Unlike Alubum cover art - I can't see a way to add a thumbnail from the file itself or capturing an image while it is playing. The tags do not contain any provision for this.

Does anyone know a way to add a thuumbnail picture to a captured video footage?

Thanks
Dave
------
Linux Manjaro 23 / Windows 10 Pro | i7 14700K Gigabyte Z790 UD AX | JRMark 10253 | Realtek Integrated HDAudio SPDIF | PC Sound - Yamaha TSS-15 5.1 DAC (will be sad when capacitors die!)| Real Sound - DLNA Network to Yamaha RX-V777 Receiver Living Room + Deck | DLNA to Paired Yamaha WiFi WX-010 MusicCast Speakers to Outside Areas

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Adding thumbnail pictue to replace icon on Home Movies
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2023, 10:24:15 pm »

Play the video in MC
Pause it at the point you would like the thumbnail generated
Right click on the picture
Hover over "Window" in the menu
Choose "Use Screengrab for Thumbnail" from the flyout menu

Job done.

Note
A little bit annoying (for me, at least), but, if the video is in a folder watched by MC's auto import, MC will import this new jpg file into the library. If that bugs you too, just remove it from the library by selecting it, hit the delete key and keep the default (first) option.

-marko

David Sydney

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Adding thumbnail picture to replace icon on Home Movies
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2023, 03:35:35 am »

Thanks Marko. I looked at that, but then realised it must not be available in the Linux version for some reason. Sure enough I went back to the Windows installation (dual boot)_ and updated it as described - thanks.

For some reason though the saved thumbnail does not come across in the Linux version - the thumbnail must be stored somewhere else, not with the media file as I cannot do this correction in the Linux version after fixing it in the Windows version of the library?

David
Dave
------
Linux Manjaro 23 / Windows 10 Pro | i7 14700K Gigabyte Z790 UD AX | JRMark 10253 | Realtek Integrated HDAudio SPDIF | PC Sound - Yamaha TSS-15 5.1 DAC (will be sad when capacitors die!)| Real Sound - DLNA Network to Yamaha RX-V777 Receiver Living Room + Deck | DLNA to Paired Yamaha WiFi WX-010 MusicCast Speakers to Outside Areas

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2023, 04:03:21 am »

I have zero Linux fu. Sorry.

If you 'fixed' it in windows though, using the "Use Screengrab for Thumbnail" option, not the 'Screengrab to file' one, then the thumbnail image would have been saved beside the file.

The only thing I can think of trying after that, for Linux, knowing the image is there, is to try the "quick find in file/coverart directory" option or the "rebuild thumbnail" option. Maybe that will build it?

If not, you'll need to wait for a Linux guru to chime in :)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2023, 11:57:27 am »

It's a directx feature. Not available in Mac and linux MC
Pages: [1]   Go Up