INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BTR iOS App  (Read 1119 times)

AllanM

• Junior Woodchuck
BTR iOS App
« on: April 14, 2023, 09:04:24 am »

Just in case anyone is is looking for a great program that compliments JRiver on iOS. I started using BTR Amp https://btrlabs.com/.

Tons of features. The way I use it is to use a local folder on my computer s a "Handheld device". I sync tot he local fold to transcode my music, then I use BRT amp to sync it into the iPad and iPhone. BTR Amp has smart playlists and carplay, which are requirements for me.

At any rate, hope this helps some people.
--
Mostly a headphone guy. I use JRiver exclusively for music.

jctcom

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
Re: BTR iOS App
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2023, 01:46:09 am »

Just in case anyone is is looking for a great program that compliments JRiver on iOS. I started using BTR Amp https://btrlabs.com/.

Tons of features. The way I use it is to use a local folder on my computer s a "Handheld device". I sync tot he local fold to transcode my music, then I use BRT amp to sync it into the iPad and iPhone. BTR Amp has smart playlists and CarPlay, which are requirements for me.

At any rate, hope this helps some people.

Thanks for this.  Still would be better if JRemote supported downloads.  But after only trying it for a couple of days I can see that BTR is a great alternative.  It works with CarPlay and seems pretty stable.  I have as you have created a local "Device" in a folder in MC and set to convert to MP3 highest quality for now.  Plan on creating a separate High Res folder to test that as well.  Have made a couple of feature requests to BTR and they have already responded saying that one of them is already in the works.

One thing I am really happy about is they provide a non subscription option which I prefer and will be taking advantage of in the next week or 2 if all continues to go as it has so far.
I have no problem paying for software but am not interested at all in any sort of permanent subscription.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

AllanM

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2023, 09:28:27 am »

Glad to hear you like it.  One suggestion, don’t use MP3 if you rate you music. I don’t think MP3 supports a rating tag. I use AAC, but if you don’t want to deal with a custom encoder, use OGG
--

jctcom

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2023, 02:09:50 am »

Glad to hear you like it.  One suggestion, don’t use MP3 if you rate you music. I don’t think MP3 supports a rating tag. I use AAC, but if you don’t want to deal with a custom encoder, use OGG
Hi Allen.

Thanks again for the BTR AMP suggestion.  I have been in contact with them quite a bit recently and thought you might be interested in some of the features they are currently working on.

1. Ability to play directly off of an OTG Card reader.  I now have a Hidizs S9 Pro DAC which I use in the car and it sounds fantastic.  Much better than CarPlay which is limited to 24Bit / 48kHz. 
I have also tried it with Neutron Music Player which already supports playing from External card and Native DSD/DSF playback as well as PCM all the way up to 24Bit / 768kHz.
I don't like the Neutron Player interface though & am chomping at the bit for BTR Amp to get the external card option working.

2. The ability to natively play DSD/DSF files.  This will be nice but for me the card reader is more important.  I am sure the difference between DSDxxx & PCM 24/192 will not be significant and I can always reconvert once the ability is realized.

3. The ability to add songs to playlist directly from the Now Playing screen.

I really love the Smart Playlist option.  I use them in JRiver all the time.  They are planning on adding the ability to generate a Smart Playlist from an existing Playlist.  (I use this to generate a playlist such as for example "Driving" but then add options like "not rated 1, 2 or 3" and "Not played in the last 90 days".  Keeps my playlists always fresh.

Oh BTW in order to use a USB Dongle DAC as mentioned above you will need a "Wireless CarPlay" option. Only very recent cars have this so you would need to pick up and adapter to make it wireless.  I picked one up for $60 (CAN) they run anywhere from that to about $100.

Also the Dongle DACS consume a fair bit of power so you will also need a Lightning to USB with power option (and Card reader option if you are interest in that)  I picked up this one: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0B6ZFW7SN?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Like I said.  eagerly awaiting the new updates from BTR AMP.  I already went ahead and purchased their lifetime option.

Oh.  one last thing regarding the Ratings.  JRiver uses their own tag for rating which is not "Industry Standard".  BTR gave me a link that shows the standard tags they use.  The Industry standard tag is actually called "POPULARIMETER"  I created a tag in MC called that and set it to synchronize with the "Rating" tag  now all my ratings show up properly in BTR and Neutron.

In any case just thought you might be interested.

Sorry for the super long post lol.
Carl

AllanM

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2023, 07:40:07 am »

Thanks for the update.  Interesting stuff he has planned.

Odd about the ratings. I export to AAC and all my ratings show up as expected in the RATING tag, and work as expected in other programs as well.

As for DSD and external,DACs, I just have a Honda accord touring so I doubt I could hear the difference between DACs or even between 160 AAC and lossless in the car.  I’m really lucked n that in general, I cannot hear a difference between most DACs or hi res music formats. Saves me a lot of money!

I will be retiring in early June and will have much more time after than to set up a dedicated listing room and really explorer music. Also more time to test JRemote at home and BTR amp on the go.
--
Pages: [1]   Go Up