INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playback problem - output format  (Read 384 times)

ctjalsma

Playback problem - output format
« on: April 20, 2023, 01:44:43 pm »

Ever since upgrading my OS to Ventura, I have been unable to play anything using Media Center, not to my Macbook Pro speakers, to headphones, to Airplay, nada. Every time I try I get a playback Problem telling me that "Playback could not be started on output 'Core Audio' using format '48KHz 2ch'.

Everything in my system is set to 48KHz, and every other app on the machine does audio just fine. I have tried giving media center permission to do about anything I can think of in the Privacy settings, and have tried other sample rates. I have a paid up license and am using the most recent version.  I am at a complete loss as to what to try next. Any help would be appreciated.

ctjalsma

Re: Playback problem - output format
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2023, 02:28:59 pm »

Added info as troubleshooting continues.  I can get things to play now, found that double clicking something causes the problem, but selecting a file and then doing play in the menu does begin play. However, I use Sound Source and it seems Media Center does not interact well with it. No matter what output device I select in Sound source, Media Center continues to play to the laptop speakers. If I plug in the headphones Sound Source and any other system device switches to the headphones but media center continues to play to the speakers. If I select airplay, again, media center ignores that and continues to play to the laptop speakers.

Is there any way to have media Center integrate with Sound Source? Is there a known incompatibility? any workarounds?

atester2001

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2023, 02:40:17 pm »

Check the audio device in MC's settings.
Turn off integer and exclusive open options.

ctjalsma

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2023, 04:06:38 pm »

Hi, thanks for the feedback. I checked Audio Device and it only lists the laptop speakers, the default Core Audio, and just now my miniDSP device plugged into a USB port.  Both exclusive use and integer are unchecked.  It turns out, via a post on Audio Science Review, that JRiver requires an external utility in order to connect to an Airport device (something to do with DNLA or lack of). So I used Airfoil by Rogue Ameoba, which lets you 'connect' an app to a device.  This does the job.

By the way, the original playback issue (sample rate) still occasionally rears its head, no idea. Try again a time or two and it usually starts playing.  Now to try to figure out why it only imported a small fraction of the Album cover art from my Itunes library

Have to admit, the learning curve on this piece of software is a brick wall. Seems like it sure could use a user's guide. I mean REW has one, and it's free
Pages: [1]   Go Up