INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about upsampling to DSD  (Read 398 times)

angelus1969

• Recent member
Question about upsampling to DSD
« on: April 21, 2023, 05:16:49 am »

Hello,

I just installed a trial for the latest macOS version and when I was trying out 4x upsampling to DSD, I noticed something weird. Upsampling a 16/44.1 file correctly show as being upsampled to DSD256 inside MediaCenter and shows as 705.6kHz on my DAC (RME ADI-2 DAC2fs), which is correct. But a 24/96 file shows the same, even though it should be upsampled to 768kHz.. Any thoughts why this is happening?

---
With regards,

Angelo Machils

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Question about upsampling to DSD
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2023, 08:27:41 pm »

The sample rate of your input files does not affect the output rate when you are using Output Encoding.  Output Encoding converts everything to the same target rate. 

Upsampling to 4x DSD is a specific target.  It's 4 x 2.88 MHz.  However, JRiver on the Mac can not send native DSD (or 4x DSD) to a DSD DAC.  Instead it must send DoP.  DoP is DSD over PCM, in which the DSD data is packed inside PCM frames.  This is not a format conversion.  It's just a transport conversion.  Meaning there is no data loss or data transformation.  The DAC ends up with DSD after it unpacks the PCM frames.

So... DSD as DoP shows up as 176.4 kHz on your DAC because it's receiving PCM frames (with DSD packed inside them).  That same DAC will show 4 times that rate when you send it 4X DSD as DoP.  4 x 176.4 = 705.6 kHz.

That is the rate of 4x DSD when sent as DoP. 

The original rate of your files has nothing to do with the target rate.  The target rate is 4x DSD no matter what you feed it.

If instead what you want is to upsample your files as PCM, then you can do that by using the Sample Rate section of the Output Format.  Be sure to turn OFF output encoding if you decide to upsample PCM instead.

Brian.

angelus1969

• Recent member
Re: Question about upsampling to DSD
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2023, 12:43:25 pm »

Thank you for you reply. It's been some time since I had a license for JRiver (last version was 23 I think), but I seem to remember there was an option 'factor 2' in the DSD upsampling, as other players have as well?! HQPlayer does this as well as Audirvana (at least the 3.5 version, I never could the new 'Origin' to work properly). Roon also has this option I think.

---
With regards,

Angelo Machils
Pages: [1]   Go Up