INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Audio Streaming Services  (Read 1746 times)

MikeO

• Citizen of the Universe
Feature Request: Audio Streaming Services
« on: April 22, 2023, 07:37:25 am »

I know it’s all been said before but despite the opinion (several years ago) that streaming was a dead duck, it’s still with us and in reality getting stronger. Apple look like they are into in it for real with the recent Apple Classical release (Primephonic)

I use MC for video but TBH the lack of streaming audio drives me to use an alternative solution for my audio needs , having to skip between apps to get Tidal simply isn’t 2023 !

No doubt it will be ignored again but I think it deserves a prod every now and again.

PS I have renewed to V31 already so …

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Feature Request: Audio Streaming Services
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2023, 11:57:18 am »

I know it’s all been said before but despite the opinion (several years ago) that streaming was a dead duck, it’s still with us and in reality getting stronger.
I've never said streaming was dead.  None of the small ones make any money.  Companies other than the very big ones just hope someone will buy them.  Losing money gets old.

pmgazz

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2023, 01:41:11 am »

I would also like streaming services integrated, not bothered on amazon Netflix but other people think its great.

Only use audio mode looking at the updated features on wiki it seems mostly the video side has been changed or updated.

I would like full integration with last FM to get play count last played etc, so not just sending but receiving as well, Myself and
others have asked for this in the past.

Not updated yet as no new features don't appeal to me (audio only), when last FM is full integrated you will get my money.

RudieV

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2023, 05:07:22 am »

Same with me: Audio only! The reason I bought JR was the audio perfect play back and similar interface with Winamp.

I skipped the last release since they were almost all video related. If JR would work more on the interface, make it more flexible and add more templates e.g. classical, chamber music etc. I almost exclusively listen to classical music and most listeners have this set up: Genre - Composer - Album - (Album) artist A feature in Winamp I liked was that you could see per album artist how long the total piece is. I would add also the rating. So you can easily see how long the piece is (not all versions are the same with cuts and different styles in playing and with the rating which one I like the best).

On that kind of flexibility I would gladly spend my money. When you look that the number of streaming sites that offer adapted classical music interfaces (Apple, Presto music), it is clear that there is money to be made from classical music fans. If this release is again video oriented, I will skip again and wait for the next one to see if it will offer valuable changes.

Usually we are older and have more money to spend, just plain marketing.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2023, 05:43:28 am »

Just to be clear, JRiver has no bias toward video over audio.  Each release has a mix of changes and improvements for both.

On the Classical subject, please start a thread, proposing how you think MC could organize Classical better.  IF you can get others to agree, we'll do what we can to make changes.

MikeO

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2023, 06:38:06 am »

The Classical views are simply a matter of file structure and using the MC views to "slice and dice"

I have a folder structure 01 - Rock, 02 - Classical etc so I create a view and set a rule "File Path contains "02- Classical""

in metadata I have a mx of built in Tags or Custom Tags for Composer, Genre, Sub Genre , Composition Movement , Box Set etc Manually a bit of a chore but allows so much customization

Then Under base View of Classical I have created Views specific to my needs. In the images below you will see Composers, in that view I have limited the Composers to my "top xx" and Composers(all) show literally that , same for Artists

Understanding the Expression Language and how to use the View Creation Wizard allows you to create pretty much anything you want. These views can then be added to either a DLNA sever view or a JRemote view

Scott Atkinson

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2023, 04:25:30 pm »

Like the OP, I wish I could access my streaming services from within MC. Whether or not streaming survives in the long run - and I suspect it will in some form - it's available now and will be for the next few years, at least. The problem, of course, is what to support.

Scott A.

BTW - Out of curiosity, how do I get designated as a "recent member"? I seldom post, but I've been buying MC since version 18.

tedmingo

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2023, 08:07:53 am »

Support for Qobuz and other streaming services integration would be a giant step. More functionality like ROON would be awesome.

franswilco

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2023, 09:03:17 am »

+1 for Qobuz.

One way or another, streaming services are here to stay and they are part of our life. These services might be losing money, but that doesn't mean JRiver would by supporting their features. Hell, I'd certainly be willing to pay - a lot - extra for such features in MC.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2023, 09:51:43 am »

I have no problem with the idea that streaming services "are here to stay".  It just isn't what we do and it isn't on our road map. 

Please take a look at Cloudplay if you haven't recently.  It's quite amazing.

SoundPro69

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2023, 07:41:07 pm »

I have no problem with the idea that streaming services "are here to stay".  It just isn't what we do and it isn't on our road map. 

Please take a look at Cloudplay if you haven't recently.  It's quite amazing.

How does your Clouplay classical music offering stack up against Qobuz?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2023, 01:02:57 am »

How does your Clouplay classical music offering stack up against Qobuz?
It isn't Qobuz.  It does have a lot of great high quality music.  It's an integral part of Play Doctor.

All lossless, some Hi Res, some multi-channel.

It's free to try.  It's even free to use, but we appreciate donations.
Pages: [1]   Go Up