INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Specify “video mode” on command line?  (Read 547 times)

htnut

• Junior Woodchuck
Specify “video mode” on command line?
« on: May 22, 2023, 02:28:42 am »

Hello,

I use video mode “HQ” (MadVR)  for my BD and UHD playback.  Working great on my system at 2160p /  23.976

But despite my best attempts, I can’t get old DVD (video_ts.ifo) to play smoothly and/or without “tearing” (interlaced artifacts).

However, if I switch to JRVR video mode (then restart the DVD), it plays smoothly. 

My question is:  When launching a DVD from the command line, can I specify which “video mode” to use?

Thanks.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Specify “video mode” on command line?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2023, 02:46:34 am »

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2023, 03:32:31 am »

Instead of automated ZoneSwitch, you can also specify the zone ID to play in on the commandline, eg.

MC30.exe /Play Zone=1000 VideoFile.mkv
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

htnut

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2023, 02:31:18 am »

Before I implement this solution, I notice an issue with the video levels JRVR vs. MadVR:

I have W10 and my projector set to "PC Levels" 0-255.  With MadVR, I get full range (BTB is visible)... but with JRVR BTB is missing, and I don't see a setting for this in JRVR's settings.  What am I missing?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2023, 02:56:52 am »

BTB is not meant to be visible, its an artifact from the mastering process. All the full dynamic range of your display is meant to be used for the real content, and BTB and WTW is not part of that.

If you can see BTB, then your chain is not set up correctly. The darkest your display can show should be for video black, not some darker options reserved for values outside of that range.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

htnut

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2023, 10:40:20 pm »

Hendrik,

Thanks for trying to explain this to me.  I thought it was wise to set the entire chain to 0-255 (PC, Renderer, and display) to ensure the conversion is only being done ONCE.

After all, test/calibration discs (like the Digital Video Essentials Blu Ray) have a Pluge pattern that shows a BTB bar.  I thought, in order to ensure that something wasn't doing an extra conversion. 

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2023, 03:05:34 am »

That setup is fine. It's how PCs should ideally be connected to screens/projectors, assuming those can accept full-range input.

In such a setup, you would not see BTB, because the video renderer takes the limited range video signal and expands it to full range (the one conversion in the chain). Calibration discs only contain BTB signals as a reference to detect mistakes in the chain - you are not supposed to see them in the final setup.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up