INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: Recording TV shows in WTV format  (Read 1438 times)

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
NEW: Recording TV shows in WTV format
« on: June 05, 2023, 12:30:33 pm »

Description
Starting with MC31, we added the ability to record TV shows in WTV format (Microsoft Window Media Center format or Stream Buffer Engine format).  This is mainly for the benefit of users who are used to using WMC.  For other users, the main advantage of using this format is the elimination of the need to keep sidecar files as we support tag-writing to wtv files.

Currently this is supported only for bda tuners (ATSC and DVB tuners on Windows, using bda architecture in DirectShow).

Instructions
To use this new feature, just choose "wtv" as the format for recording (in Setup or TV Options).

Limitation
Recordings cannot happen concurrently on the same tuner.  That means consecutive shows can be recorded only without overlapping.  The second recording can start only after the first recording finishes (handled by MC internally).  As a user, you can make it work better by eliminating the post-padding of the first show whenever you know you will record the next show too.  Pre-padding for the second show is fine as MC will just wait until the first show is over.

Known issue
We have seen audio video synchronization issues when playing a channel live (i.e. in time-shifting mode) reported to be bad.  This is a tough one as I nearly broke my scalp for scratching it too hard.  You can try turning VideoClock (in Video Options) on or off.  It appears that turning VideoClock off is better.  When the audio-video sync drifts off, you can do a Right-Click > TV Options > Restart player.  That usually fixes the sync (but it may come back again later).  We are still looking for a solution to this.  There is no issue with recorded shows. 
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Daniel Warner

• World Citizen
Re: NEW: Recording TV shows in WTV format
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2023, 06:28:46 am »

I'm amazed you're supporting what is now a very old format. Good on you for adding it.

I'm assuming, apart from the elimination of sidecar files, there is no real advantage to using this format for quality reasons?
Sybil, you're always ... refurbishing yourself

mcq

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2023, 08:20:24 am »

The WTV format allows rich program metadata to be embedded into the file as well as being easy to edit with a number of editors e.g. VideoReDo.

It is also playable with many players e.g. VLC etc.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2023, 05:45:09 pm »

I'm assuming, apart from the elimination of sidecar files, there is no real advantage to using this format for quality reasons?

Your assumption is correct.  WTV carries metadata in the files themselves and eliminates the need for sidecar files.  No advantage in terms of quality.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up