INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why did you choose JRiver?  (Read 221708 times)

dcwebman

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Why did you choose JRiver?
« Reply #400 on: June 09, 2023, 06:47:43 am »

I have to add my 2 cents. I can't believe it's been almost 20 years since I started using Media Center with MC 11. I needed it back then to catalog and organize my large (to me) MP3 collection. There wasn't a better tool back then. Even though I finished organizing MP3s way back, I continue to buy the new version every year as it continues to be the best in playing and organizing music. I dabbled in the theatre feature, but I sure wish I had gotten more into photo organizing back then. I tried multiple programs over the years for organizing photos but those programs came and are now gone. Now I have a ton of photos I wish I had added to MC to organize. Since I just retired, perhaps I'll have the time to make that happen. Keep up the great work!
Jeff

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #401 on: June 27, 2023, 05:26:24 pm »

OK, I just added a new reason to why I chose JRiver, though I have to admit at the time I did not know this reason existed.

But, as of this afternoon, now I do.

Wake on LAN.

It was a surprise to me.

My desktop MC server had been shut down for maintenance reasons.

I was also working working on the MC client PC for those same maintenance reasons (a.k.a., Patch Tuesday).

I have the MC client PC version of Windows configured to boot into MC client and start up in theater mode.

But the MC server was powered down, or at least I thought it was.  When I went to the desktop PC, I noticed it was booting up.

I knew I had enabled WoL for other reasons, so it was no surprise to me that it would boot up by itself.

What was the surprise, though not really a surprise, but more of a smiling recognition of what has been designed into MC.  That the MC client sent a WoL packet to it's configured server.

Poking around in the Wiki, I found an entry that pointed to some decade+ old comments here.

So, succinctly, if the MC client is configured to connect to a MC server, and it sees no response from that server, it issues a network-based ~wake up-call~ to the server.

Excellent stuff, that is...

Thank-you to the developers.

=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

avid

• World Citizen
  • MC user since 2003
« Reply #402 on: July 21, 2023, 06:30:20 am »

I originally selected MC (version 8 IIRC) for my HTPC project in March 2003 to play music. Other players were chosen for video and TV as that side of things wasn't really supported then in MC. The main reasons for the selection at that time were its flexibility in library organization and its ability to be remotely controlled (by Girder - remember that??).

Over the last 20 years the project has evolved enormously, and has been the sole entertainment system at home for all that time. And MC has remained as the core player for music. And I am just embarking on major re-work to move to Linux and to transfer the responsibility for the video and TV functionality into MC (ditching Zoom Player and DVBViewer).

The things that keep me with MC remain unchanged: its flexibility in library organization and its ability to be remotely controlled (now via the very rich MCWS API). And of course the reliability and output quality is superb and matches the capabilities of modern display and audio hardware.

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #403 on: July 22, 2023, 10:56:49 pm »

From the 31.0.36 announcement...

2. NEW: Added "Shuffle Albums" to the shuffle menu to keep albums in track order but shuffle the collection of albums.

Whoa.

I have been doing that manually (and to be honest, outside of JRiver with VLC).

OK, it, specifically, is not a reason why I chose JRiver back years (decades?) ago when I switched from iTunes....

But if you give me a little latitude, this type of continual improvement (and, in this case, I do not use "improvement" lightly) is a reason why I chose JRiver.

Good stuff.

thx.

=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

NickA

• Recent member
« Reply #404 on: July 31, 2023, 09:52:07 pm »

Hi Jim,

A great question; I chose it back in 2013 because it could:
  • play Hi-res audio files;
  • handle FLAC;
  • playback "bit perfect" on USB devices like the Centrance DacPort and Chord Electronics Hugo; not always easy on Windows;
  • allow me to pick music and make a queue/playlist in a way that made sense to me, no hassle;
  • handle changes in sample rates without full range white noise or crashing the app/device; could add tracks to Playing Now with abandon;
  • play tunes the whole time I had guests over and have music without interruption or distraction; it just worked compared to the alternatives.

However the clincher was it sounded better, with my gear, in my room, to my ears than the alternatives I tried at the time. Perhaps how it worked with the USB devices I had; the other solutions seemed more strident and less effortless.

I also think it's reasonably priced and like it's available on multiple platforms. I have picked up most versions since the original MC19 I started with, thanks for a great product.

Cheers, Nick
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Up