INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sync to "handheld" path based on playlist?  (Read 262 times)

stanger89

• MC Beta Team
  • Junior Woodchuck
Sync to "handheld" path based on playlist?
« on: November 04, 2023, 03:46:23 pm »

This is probably a feature request (hopefully I'm just missing the feature), but I think MC could help with syncing music to USB drives for many aftermarket car head units.  The short version is it would be great if I could tell MC to place files on a "handheld" (USB stick) based off the playlists selected in the sync settings.  For example, if I select "Playlist_1" and "Playlist_2" to sync, have MC sync them to "<handheld root>/Music/Playlist_1" and "<handheld root>/Music/Playlist_2", even if that means duplicating files...

Some background, I basically live off smart playlists in MC.  I've got all my music imported and rated, and for day-to-day listening, I've got a few smartlists setup so I can pick basically a type of music, and MC just plays stuff from a collection of Genres (usually) and only those things not played in the past 2 weeks (for example).  Then I've got some similar smartlists setup without the last played restriction, basically for syncing to USB sticks for my car.

The rub is, it seems pretty much all aftermarket car head units are moronic.  Some can play based on Genre/Artist/Album, but generally they seem to "only" play based on folder structure, (not sure how it can be 2023 and a device that plays mp3/wma/ogg/flac, even hi-res files, can't handle an m3u playlist, I mean they've only been around for almost 30 years).  OK rant off. 

So for these dumb as rocks head units that can't handle playlists, the workaround is basically use folders as playlists instead.  Basically each set of files in a playlist, you stick in a different folder.

FYI this really old thread is basically the same question.
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=74393.0

This is basically the approach I'm taking, I have several handheld profiles setup, and they point to subdirectories on the USB stick, each with a different smartlist selected in the sync settings.  Then I just sync each "handheld" to the same USB stick.  But it would be awesome if there was a way to configure a single handheld to do this automatically.
Pages: [1]   Go Up