INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The role of JRiver in streaming in video use cases  (Read 847 times)

DrKNo

• World Citizen
The role of JRiver in streaming in video use cases
« on: November 26, 2023, 04:42:37 pm »

I've only ever dabbled loosely with video. Please bear with with me if this is a trivial question. So far, pretty much my only usage scenario was JRiver on a NUC, connected to a nice USB-enabled Sony amp, and an HDMI-out for the occasional video to my ancient LED TV. So the time came, the TV finally keeled over, and it's time for a new setup, only I have to take into account the requirements from a whole family and a much larger TV. The old NUC struggled to reasonably render full HD video, so I'd really like to outsource that to my rather powerful rig. My question being: Can I do that while somehow streaming the rendered and audio-processed stream via WiFi to a modern TV? Or should I route an HDMI cable over to the TV, which is possible but pretty much at the very maximum of  what I understand is recommended, 15 meters. Feel free to just toss me links to relevant literature, I'm swimming here a bit. Thank you!

Edit: So I think I've answered my own questions. HDMI is possible via optical 2.1 HDMI, so that's good. WiFi is not necessary either, all parts would be hardwired over ethernet. A remaining question that I have is: If I use the DLNA endpoint, does JRiver send the fully processed stream, or does that TV do the actual rendering of the content? I.e. do adaptions like nightime volume normalisation or a high quality render chain apply to DLNA  streaming to a smart TV?

eve

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: The role of JRiver in streaming in video use cases
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2023, 08:03:33 am »

I've only ever dabbled loosely with video. Please bear with with me if this is a trivial question. So far, pretty much my only usage scenario was JRiver on a NUC, connected to a nice USB-enabled Sony amp, and an HDMI-out for the occasional video to my ancient LED TV. So the time came, the TV finally keeled over, and it's time for a new setup, only I have to take into account the requirements from a whole family and a much larger TV. The old NUC struggled to reasonably render full HD video, so I'd really like to outsource that to my rather powerful rig. My question being: Can I do that while somehow streaming the rendered and audio-processed stream via WiFi to a modern TV? Or should I route an HDMI cable over to the TV, which is possible but pretty much at the very maximum of  what I understand is recommended, 15 meters. Feel free to just toss me links to relevant literature, I'm swimming here a bit. Thank you!

Edit: So I think I've answered my own questions. HDMI is possible via optical 2.1 HDMI, so that's good. WiFi is not necessary either, all parts would be hardwired over ethernet. A remaining question that I have is: If I use the DLNA endpoint, does JRiver send the fully processed stream, or does that TV do the actual rendering of the content? I.e. do adaptions like nightime volume normalisation or a high quality render chain apply to DLNA  streaming to a smart TV?

No, there isn't a practical, high quality way to stream rendered video from JRiver over Wifi to your TV (all the benefits of a fancy video scaler / renderer like JRiver start to become kind of irrelevant when you're on the fly transcoding)

You'll want to look at a long HDMI cable. That limit of length for HDMI cables applies to traditional cables. You need active 'optical' ones. They're more expensive but they do really work. I run a handful of 100ft HDMI 2.1 cables for my monitors and primary display, plus a few misc 50 & 100ft active display port ones. The display signal I target, 4k, 120hz 4:4:4 is pushing up towards the max spec'd bandwidth for these kinds of HDMI 2.1 cables, yet they're flawless.

I've had good luck with no name brands from Amazon. The brand names (and 'enclosures') don't matter, it's the internal hardware that matters here. Out of like I think 3 -4 different brands I have kicking around, they've all been fine and up to spec. My buddy picked up another brand like last year which did NOT meet the spec ( could have just been an unlucky unit) but there really isn't a way to tell before you have the thing if they're using decent components.
Yes, ordering "Active 8K HDMI CABLE" and hoping for the best is a gamble but the alternative is a few hundred per run and miraculously the ones I've been using meet the spec needed.

DrKNo

• World Citizen
Re: The role of JRiver in streaming in video use cases
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2023, 02:23:54 am »

Thank you Eve, that was very helpful and that's exactly what I will do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up