INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center working fine on Raspi 5 with Bookworm  (Read 1229 times)

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen
Media Center working fine on Raspi 5 with Bookworm
« on: December 05, 2023, 08:47:54 am »

Just installed using InstallJRMC
JRMark Benchmark =2504

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Media Center working fine on Raspi 5 with Bookworm
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2023, 12:05:20 pm »

I spoke too soon....I'm getting hangups every now and then.   My Raspi5 is headless and it no longer has Real VNC as an option.   I've been fiddling with Microsoft remote desktop and Tiger VNC as well as Real VNC as a viewer.   I think I have the NAS mounting correct, but something is hanging....

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2023, 05:36:10 pm »

The whole system? I've heard reports that the 5 needs decent cooling, have you checked temps?

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2023, 07:47:12 am »

The whole system? I've heard reports that the 5 needs decent cooling, have you checked temps?

I got the Raspi 5 case with a fan.    It runs quiet and doesn't seem hot.

But now, I went to my Raspi 4 Media Center and it is hanging as well
It plays one song and when it is finished, I can't do anything.   I have to reboot.

Something is amiss in both of them.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2023, 08:04:50 am »

You can launch mediacenter31 from the command line to see if there is anything informative in stdout, check your journalctl, and enable logging in MC.

max096

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2023, 01:25:41 pm »

I spoke too soon....I'm getting hangups every now and then.   My Raspi5 is headless and it no longer has Real VNC as an option.   I've been fiddling with Microsoft remote desktop and Tiger VNC as well as Real VNC as a viewer.   I think I have the NAS mounting correct, but something is hanging....

You can also use my docker container if you want: https://gitlab.com/shiomax/jrivermc-docker

Has tigervnc setup, you can pass threw the alsa device for playback. Works quite well for that usecase.

TigerVNC is best if you want a virtual desktop. Though, if you want to access your already existing desktop then something like x11vnc will probably work better.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2023, 03:08:06 pm »

You can also use my docker container if you want: https://gitlab.com/shiomax/jrivermc-docker

Has tigervnc setup, you can pass threw the alsa device for playback. Works quite well for that usecase.

TigerVNC is best if you want a virtual desktop. Though, if you want to access your already existing desktop then something like x11vnc will probably work better.
I've found that to be the case with TigerVNC as well.

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2023, 08:05:46 am »

I've found that to be the case with TigerVNC as well.

I initially used Tiger but it wouldn't allow shutdowns and reboots.   Had to do a "SUDO REBOOT" and there were some other anomalies.   Then I tried Microsoft desktop (XRDP) and finally RealVNC (doesn't run on Raspi 5) and it seems the best.   I cycled through all of them thinking it was VNC causing the hangs....but they all did it.

I'm thinking there's some handshake problem with the NAS server but every time I use the Bookworm file utility, I can easily and rapidly access the NAS music files.

But it may also have something to do with the origin of the libraries.   I saved my Mac's library and restored on the RP4 (and later the RP5) --- and then globally changed all the Mac NAS file "VOLUMES" references to "/media/NAS/" and it seems to work but maybe I missed something?   

Both the RP4 and RP5 have the same library.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2023, 08:21:52 am »

I initially used Tiger but it wouldn't allow shutdowns and reboots.   Had to do a "SUDO REBOOT" and there were some other anomalies.   Then I tried Microsoft desktop (XRDP) and finally RealVNC (doesn't run on Raspi 5) and it seems the best.   I cycled through all of them thinking it was VNC causing the hangs....but they all did it.

I'm thinking there's some handshake problem with the NAS server but every time I use the Bookworm file utility, I can easily and rapidly access the NAS music files.

But it may also have something to do with the origin of the libraries.   I saved my Mac's library and restored on the RP4 (and later the RP5) --- and then globally changed all the Mac NAS file "VOLUMES" references to "/media/NAS/" and it seems to work but maybe I missed something?   

Both the RP4 and RP5 have the same library.
The Mac and linux libraries are nearly identical after the Precomposed UTF-8 change (in MC30 IIRC) on the Mac so I don't think that's your issue.
It sounds like the network connectivity might be flaky, SMB really shows issues in that case. NFS is somewhat more forgiving.
The file browser utility doesn't mount the SMB paths so it's really more like a web browser than a persistent file mount.

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2023, 06:04:47 am »

I'm using NFS.

I just tried again.   It plays fine for a couple of minutes and then the sound stops but the progress bar and time is still moving.   But after I click on something like STOP it hangs (only MC hangs - I can still access Bookworm and reboot).

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2023, 08:34:46 am »

I'm using NFS.

I just tried again.   It plays fine for a couple of minutes and then the sound stops but the progress bar and time is still moving.   But after I click on something like STOP it hangs (only MC hangs - I can still access Bookworm and reboot).
What is your audio output device?
Maybe turn on logging and post a log of when it appears to be hanging.

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2023, 08:13:24 am »

What is your audio output device?
Maybe turn on logging and post a log of when it appears to be hanging.

OK...I'll turn on logging.   

I'm streaming to a Ropieee Raspi with DLNA.

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2023, 04:39:34 am »

Well......as is my luck.....When I turned on logging, it no longer hung up.   

Hah !!! 

But I did change something.   I had a previous typo and created a local Video directory to sync with the NAS server and had put it inside of the local Audio directory.  I fixed that and I bet that was it.   Something was probably amiss with linux file permissions or MC pointing to the same place twice.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2023, 08:07:08 am »

Well......as is my luck.....When I turned on logging, it no longer hung up.   

Hah !!! 

But I did change something.   I had a previous typo and created a local Video directory to sync with the NAS server and had put it inside of the local Audio directory.  I fixed that and I bet that was it.   Something was probably amiss with linux file permissions or MC pointing to the same place twice.
Oh, I wonder if that created a circular import. Possibly also an issue with the filesystem support for file notification (you can turn that off in settings for testing, it might be necessary to turn that off for very large libraries on a Pi because of generally more limited resources than a 32 GB ram desktop).

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2023, 12:34:46 pm »

"...you can turn that off in settings for testing"
'

I'm not sure where that is......

Do you mean this?  Disable filesystem???

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2023, 12:44:15 pm »

'

I'm not sure where that is......

Do you mean this?  Disable filesystem???
Yes.
Then imports will only occur on a timed basis (120 minutes IIRC)

max096

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2023, 05:06:12 pm »

You could also try to add

Code: [Select]
kernel=kernel8.img

to /boot/config.txt then reboot

Will need to do some more reading on this. But raspi 5 runs a kernel by default with 16k page size and there is a bunch of software that is incompatible right now.

https://github.com/raspberrypi/bookworm-feedback/issues/107

Worth a try if it magically fixes your issues.

Pages: [1]   Go Up