INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deleting a library item doesn't delete all files  (Read 795 times)

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Deleting a library item doesn't delete all files
« on: December 17, 2023, 04:08:25 am »

same theme as https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,137651.0.html

the right behaviour here is quite debatable but it is a reason why I find using MC to manage actual media files not so nice hence reporting it here

import some mkv to library
get cover art (creates a file next to it)
delete the item from MC selecting the delete from disk option
cover art that was only downloaded to go with this mkv is left behind

MC knows this exists so could offer some info or choice as to what to do and/or it could have some dialog that shows exactly what it is doing (similar to the rename dialog itself)

lepa

• MC Beta Team
Re: Deleting a library item doesn't delete all files
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2023, 04:18:21 am »

Have you checked that the cover art is not imported to library e.g. with some auto import rule? As imported files of course don't get deleted.

That said I think that sometimes MC doesn't move all the non-imported files when told and my own suspicion has been that it is related to somehow temporary db

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2023, 06:22:31 am »

Have you checked that the cover art is not imported to library e.g. with some auto import rule? As imported files of course don't get deleted.
hadn't thought of that and you're right, MC is happily auto importing files it created itself. I can't imagine why that is desirable behaviour, surely a bug?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2023, 01:24:40 pm »

hadn't thought of that and you're right, MC is happily auto importing files it created itself. I can't imagine why that is desirable behaviour, surely a bug?

In the auto-import settings you can configure MC to import or not import those kinds of things, so I'm not sure it's a bug (someone may actually want that behavior?).  For example, you can tell auto-import not to import image or data files in video import directories to prevent that behavior.  I have JRiver configured to never import images except in directories where I deliberately store images and none of my JRiver created cover art is imported into my library, etc.

The default behavior when you add an auto-import directory is to import everything, which does lead to this effectively being the default behavior, which is a little odd, and leads to confusion about this kind of thing (also to strange results when using the rename copy tool, etc.).  But it's easy enough to configure away.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2023, 01:58:47 pm »

the main question to my mind is what is the use case for auto importing files that MC itself is creating (just because it can't store the image in the file itself)? I can't currently think of a reason why you'd want that behaviour, is there one?

But it's easy enough to configure away.
once you know it's happening and you know how to configure it then yes though that only works if you don't want img files to be imported (e.g. what if you're the type who accumulates their own additional art and you've decided to store it alongside the video files?)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2023, 05:39:48 pm »

the main question to my mind is what is the use case for auto importing files that MC itself is creating (just because it can't store the image in the file itself)? I can't currently think of a reason why you'd want that behaviour, is there one?
once you know it's happening and you know how to configure it then yes though that only works if you don't want img files to be imported (e.g. what if you're the type who accumulates their own additional art and you've decided to store it alongside the video files?)

There's also the "ignore special files" auto import checkbox which sweeps out common cover art file names as I recall.  It definitely seems to work here for audio cover art, but maybe it doesn't work for video cover art?
Pages: [1]   Go Up