INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kernel Streaming plugin?  (Read 1551 times)

Bishop

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Kernel Streaming plugin?
« on: February 12, 2003, 11:52:50 pm »

Is there any possibility of adding Kernel Streaming as a output device?

I have a Philips Acoustic Edge soundcard, which lacks a ASIO driver. Because of this, I am forced to go through Windows Kmixer, and would prefer not to. I have tried the Kernel Streaming plugin for Winamp, and found very pleasing results. The music just sounds more "pure".

I found a link to a forum thread of a guy that created the plugin for Winamp. Here's a snippit that explains what it does...

What are the advantages over a directsound output?

Well, the main reason I wrote it is because Kernel Streaming prevents all other programs from playing sound, so my music won't be interrupted by some other sound (yes, I could just disable the Windows sounds, but I don't mind hearing them at other times). Kernel Streaming bypasses the Windows KMixer and sends data directly to the audio driver, so I suppose another benefit would be that KMixer doesn't get to mess with your audio data (which can give you a warm, fuzzy feeling  ). Generally, the main reason to use kernel streaming is to achieve extremely low latency output, because KMixer adds about 30 ms latency. Low latency output isn't useful/possible with Winamp because the input plugins send data in like 13-26 ms bursts. Low latency output is really useful for audio editing programs.

Here's the link to the thread..
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=4569

The developer also included a link to the source code for people to look at.

This would be a great addition to MC9. For those of us without ASIO functions, this would be a great benefit! ;D

-Bishop
Pages: [1]   Go Up