Devices > Sound Cards, DAC's, Receivers, Speakers, and Headphones

miniDSP Flex HTx

(1/2) > >>

syndromeofadown:
https://www.minidsp.com/products/ht-series/flex-htx

MiniDSP has two new home theater sound cards. The single ended one is called Flex HT, the balanced is called Flex HTx. I plan on ordering the HTx as soon as Chinese new year is finished, for use with a 5.1 system that currently has 4 amps and an active sub.

With this I can connect both single ended and balanced amps / mono blocks / subs. It does seem a bit overkill, but there really aren't many other options. I do not want an Audio Interface, I do not want any Topping brand devices, I do not want any Creative brand devices, I do not use receivers. I Like to go from PC to sound card to amp. So the MiniDSP seems perfect, aside from the steep price.

Does anyone have experience with MiniDSP? Does anyone with expertise in these devices have any wisdom to share about this?

One source of complication i envision having is that the MiniDSP / Dirac software does a lot of what MC does too. I suspect I will have to choose one or the other to adjust many of the audio settings. Also, I think the max quality is 24 / 96 which is fine for me, but with Dirac (which i have no experience with) the max quality is 24 / 48.

Thanks

mattkhan:
Minidsp products generally work fine and yes it does more than you appear to need hence costs more.

Why don't you want an audio interface?

syndromeofadown:

--- Quote ---Why don't you want an audio interface?
--- End quote ---
I do not have a great answer for this one, my opinion could be wrong about them. I have limited experience, but what I have I did not enjoy. It was over complicated on the software and hardware side. Too Many buttons, knobs, and options. Coincidentally I will be using one next week. I think it is a Tascam US-2x2HR Audio Interface. If you have a recommendation for an audio interface I will happily research it.

I like things to be dead simple. My audio setups typically are. Once set up, they just work. I feel like the MiniDSP is simple to use, but with the option to dive into the complicated features. My favorite DACs are the ones with USB in and line out. No software, one or no buttons, no knobs. And I need Linux compatibility.

mattkhan:
So a simple class compliant 6 channel interface? Any particular output requirements? ie voltage, XLR?

syndromeofadown:
The current preliminary plan for the MiniDSP is as follows:

MC Zone 1 (using 2 of the 8 channels) for music, 2.0:
2x XLR out to stereo amp that powers 2 towers. I do now want sub here.

MC Zone 2 (using 6 of the 8 channels) for movies, 5.1:
3x XLR out to 3x monoblocks to power center, left (bookshelf), and right (bookshelf).
1x rca out to active sub.
2x rca out to rear left and rear right.

The steep price of the MiniDSP has an advantage because it accommodates all equipment. Are there any audio interfaces that will do the same?

I think if I had to choose between a single ended interface or balanced, I would choose balanced. Most of my stuff has XLR and there are now many options for amps with XLR, even if they are not truly balanced. Even Emotiva subs seem to have replaced high level inputs with XLR.

So ideally an interface would be 8 channels, and XLR.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version