INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A few questions about CD ripping with bad metadata  (Read 137 times)

curiousMonkey

• Galactic Citizen
A few questions about CD ripping with bad metadata
« on: March 26, 2024, 12:14:14 pm »

I have been ripping CDs to FLAC for quite some time and most of the time MC does everything fine.
However sometimes I run into problems managing the default metadata.

1) Is there a way to see the metadata that has been selected before ripping commences? I have seen cases where the data uses a non-standard format and I would prefer to edit the data before ripping begins. I am currently manually editing the data and the end and this gets tedious because I usually have to delete the library entries and import the files again.

2) If a rip is aborted is there an option to delete the tracks that have been already ripped? I just had a case where I aborted the rip and all of the tracks still showed up in the library. I was accidentally ripping a disc which had non-standard metadata for the second time and I did see all of the tracks in the library with the "bad" data. I don't think there were actual files there of course but I still had to manually delete all of the tracks. I was also suprised that I could not see the directory that should have been created for the non-standard album name when I looked in the filesystem so I wonder where any actual files were actually stored during the partial ripping process. I tried looking for the files in MC under Music/Artists but I could not see the artist name. I did see the new tracks in Theater View so that is where I deleted them. This is definitely an inefficient way to delete an album because I was forced to delete one track at a time and could not just select the whole album.
HTPC - Windows 10 64-bit Intel i5, Nvidia GTX 1650 4GB

JVC NX7, Panamorph Paladin DCR, Stewart ST130 G4 140" 2.4:1, Anthem AVM 70, Aerial Acoustics 7T/7CC/10T, Rythmik F18 (2), Paradigm Servo-15, MiniDSP 2x4 HD, Sony UBP-X800 Mk2

GuitRdone

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: A few questions about CD ripping with bad metadata
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2024, 04:48:03 pm »

I always tell MC to "Take no action" upon inserting a new disc. When there are entries for the title in the database, the next screen you see allows you to look at the entries that are available. When the entries aren't quite right, I will pick the one that is closest and manually edit the data BEFORE I tell MC to rip it. In this way, I make sure the metadata is correct going in, so there is no reason to interrupt a rip, and no reason to delete after the fact.
HT#1: Sony STR-DA5400ES, Polk RTi 7.1 speakers
HT#2: MC30, Frankenstein PC, Sony STR-DA5800ES, Polk RTi 3.1 speakers (bi-amped A9 mains)
Id: Original 120GB SSD NUC
Mobile: HIFI Walker H2 and H2 Touch
Pages: [1]   Go Up