INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver 32 crashing going from 5.1 to stereo [Solved]  (Read 264 times)

TSmurth

JRiver 32 crashing going from 5.1 to stereo [Solved]
« on: March 27, 2024, 03:59:35 pm »

JRiver 32 crashes when I play a 5.1 recording and switch to a stereo recording. The problem occurs when I use the source number of channels but not when I set the output to 5.1. It occurs with WASAPI but not Direct Sound. I am feeding the computer's HDMI output to a current-model Pioneer Elite receiver, which in turn feeds a Sony TV. I have two HDMI monitors, but the problem persisted when the other one was disconnected.

If I stop the 5.1 recording first, it's no problem; the stereo will then play. I have tried various things, like changing prebuffering and memory playback, sample rate output, to no avail. I followed the protocol to make sure Windows Defender was not the issue.

I have deleted and reinstalled JRiver several times. I am now using 32.0.28, 64-bit.

I attached a log file. I am not very computer savvy, so please be patient.  Operating system is Windows 11.

bucky63

Re: JRiver 32 crashing when going from 5.1 to stereo
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2024, 04:10:15 pm »

One option is to try and change the Channels in DSP Studio Output Format to 5.1 Channels, Check the box "For Stereo Sources, only mix to 2.1" and Select the "Silent" pulldown in the Subwoofer section.  This will always feed 5.1 to your receiver for both 5.1 and stereo sources eliminating the format change that might be hanging your system up. 

TSmurth

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2024, 04:55:00 pm »

Thanks for your response bucky63. I had tried this previously and it does keep the system from crashing. Unfortunately, it still sends a 5.1 signal to my receiver, so I cannot apply any processing modes in the receiver like various surround formats -- DTS neural, Dolby surround, etc.

bucky63

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2024, 06:03:04 pm »

same with me.

I found this but have not tried it...

Play silence at startup for hardware synchronization

Some hardware requires a lead time from when a signal is delivered to when sound is produced. This option allows outputting leading silence so no actual sound is lost in these cases. Note that this option is only in effect in two cases - at the first playback after the program starts, and between tracks with different sample rates. This silence will not be played between tracks with the same sample rate.

You might want to experiment with different times of silence.  Also, turn off all cross-fade, gapless, and maybe even upsampling. 

TSmurth

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2024, 09:34:13 pm »

Thanks again for your suggestions.  Unfortunately, they did not help, not persistently. When I first switched to 10 seconds for playing silence at startup, it seemed to work -- the first time but not subsequently, even after restarting the computer. Ditto for longer times, up to 15 seconds.  I do not use cross-fade, gapless (except for contiguous songs on an album) and do no upscaling. Hoping someone can look at my log file and see if it offers some clues.

TSmurth

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2024, 01:03:05 am »

Oops...I rolled back audio drivers and this seems to have fixed the problem, fingers crossed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up