INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rename, Copy, Move Files - Does it move entire folder content?  (Read 368 times)

Zootsuit

• World Citizen
  • too cool for school

I have a large library, split for the most part between two NAS devices, with a number of music files on a legacy external drive. The music files are stored in specific artist-album designated subfolders. Each subfolder will contain the music files as well as thumbnails for album covers, text files for album metadata, which I store in the Notes field and miscellaneous audio files.

I want to move the file subfolders on the external drive into one of the NAS devices, not just the audio files. Simply using the rename-copy-move command from the Files view menu moves only the audio files listed in that view. I've tried using the command from the album inventory view, thinking that might move everything in the subject subfolder, but that doesn't seem to work either. Moving only audio files obviously splits them away from related non-audio files, which is undesirable. I can simply cut and paste the entire subfolder into the target File Explorer field, but that disrupts the original file path in MC and requires significant cleanup - there are a large number of subfolders I'd like to move. Is there another way to do this within MC?

AIA if the answer to this is obvious - at age 84, I don't do obvious the way I used to.

Denti

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Rename, Copy, Move Files - Does it move entire folder content?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2024, 10:30:25 am »

I'd love to be able to do this, too.

comox

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2024, 11:16:58 am »

I have not used it because I import everything, but you could try the option "Move all non-imported files in folder with selected media files" located near the top of the Rename, Move & Copy function.

Test one folder before doing your whole library.

There seem to be a lot of us old people using MC. Maybe JRiver should do something to dumb it down and add some sparkles and flashing lights to attract new young people?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2024, 11:20:03 am »

Sounds like you want to turn on the option:
"Move all non-imported files in folder with selected media files"
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Zootsuit

• World Citizen
  • too cool for school
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2024, 09:09:10 am »

I'd already done that but I reran it as a test on some duplicate files. Same result, audio files (FLAC in this case) transferred to new locus, scans and text were left behind in the original directory. I used the Rename-Move command to test it; for any other options, the Move All Non-Imported Files box is greyed out.

Zootsuit

• World Citizen
  • too cool for school
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2024, 09:39:16 am »

"There seem to be a lot of us old people using MC. Maybe JRiver should do something to dumb it down and add some sparkles and flashing lights to attract new young people?"

Get off my C Drive!!    ?

Zootsuit

• World Citizen
  • too cool for school
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2024, 10:46:46 am »

Bump. any other thoughts? I ran another test and only transferred the audio files, which were FLAC. The other files remained in their original location. Is this a limitation in the current program perhaps to be addressed in later builds?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2024, 10:58:17 am »

The file needs to be imported into the main library (not just in Playing Now) for the move other files in the folder to work.  It's checking for DB_LOCATION_MAIN.

I don't feel strongly about this, so we could change it if people think we should.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up