INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using JRiver, Mac version 31, to stream to iFi Zen Stream as a DLNA streamer  (Read 2662 times)

mike11127

I'm new to using streamers. I just got an iFi Zen Stream and I've set it in DLNA mode. I'm wondering how to get JRiver to stream to it. I noticed that "iFi Streamer" shows up under Player-> Zones. When I select it and start playing a track, it plays for about 3 seconds, then stops. My DAC is showing "DSD 24.5 MHz" and that doesn't change. The light on the Zen Stream that is supposed to indicate the streaming data rate stays dark.

Any ideas, even if you aren't familiar with the Zen Stream, perhaps general ideas what to look for that's wrong?

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Are you playing DSD files?  Start with stereo FLAC just to see what happens.

You can right click on the renderer in MC and change MC settings.  Try the "broken renderer" options.

mike11127

No, I'm not playing DSD files. From the moment I plugged my DAC into the Zen Stream, before starting to play anything, the DAC showed "DSD 24.5 MHz" and it hasn't changed at any point.

I was playing 44/16. Something weird happened after starting playback this time (after rebooting my MacBook). This time, the light on the Zen Stream that indicates streaming rate came on, colored Yellow. Yellow, according to the Zen Stream documentation, indicates PCM with a rate of 176.4 KHz or above. But the DAC hasn't changed - still says "DSD 24.5 MHz".

Another interesting fact... when I switch the DAC input to USB from any of its other inputs (it also has a S/PDIF input, BNC, and so on) there's a pop through the speakers. As if the DAC is outputting a DC offset maybe?

mike11127

Okay, update. I'm still trying to figure out how DLNA works, but apparently JRiver made my music library accessible to the Zen Stream, and when I connect to the local web page for controlling the Zen Stream I was able to find my library as folders. I selected an audio file and it played fine!

Then I went back to JRiver and selected iFi as the Zone and tried to play something. No sound.

Note that my goal is to control the Zen Stream by playing files in JRiver because JRiver, with its Panes browser, is my preferred way to access my library. Accessing it by folders... it's not organized well to do that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up